You probably don't know the answer but what allows WiFi scanning anyway?

SUMMARY: What service is it that does the Wi-Fi scanning on Android anyway?

formatting link

DETAILS: You probably don't know the answer but what allows WiFi scanning anyway?

In the past few weeks I changed so many things on my Android 4.3 phone that I don't remember what killed WiFi scanning but I just want to ask, in case someone knows, what actually does the WiFi scanning on an Android phone?

For example, I have over a half dozen access points at home, all being broadcast in the clear, WPA2/PSK-AES protected, which the third part programs find with no problem (e.g., Fritz! WLAN, WiFi Manager, WiFi Connection, WiFi Analyzer, InSSIDer, WiFi Analysis, WigLe WiFi, etc.).

formatting link

Some (but not all) of the 3rd-party apps can find all the networks, yet, the scan button in Android 4.3 doesn't find a single network anymore. What on Android does the scanning anyway?

formatting link

I can certainly manually press the default Android 4.3 "Add Wi-Fi network" and then it will connect to any network I manually type in, but it won't

*find* a network on its own anymore, even though the signal strength is clearly in the negative forties, fifties, sixties, and seventies (i.e., the signal strength is just fine).
formatting link

I realize probably nobody knows the answer but just in case you do, what service on Android does the WiFi access-point scanning anyway?

Reply to
Stijn De Jong
Loading thread data ...

Wrong question. What you should be asking is what disables wi-fi scanning. That's easy, 2 ways.

1. If your phone is setup to act as a hot spot so that others can borrow your cellular data bandwidth, it will kill scanning. That's because a hot spot requires that the channel number be fixed and not a moving target.
  2. If your phone is in peer to peer mode instead of infrastructure. There are many reasons for this to happen. For example, printing directly to an HP ePrint printer or Apple Airprint printer. I think (not sure) that a GoPro camera connection does the same thing.

Note that the phone cannot be in infrastructure (what you want) and peer-to-peer mode (what you don't want) at the same time.

I'll take the easy way out and claim ignorance.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Those are both good answers as to what disables wifi scanning.

The phone has never been set up as a hotspot since the last factory reset, although it certainly would be possible to set it up as a hotspot since it's T-Mobile which allows that on all their phones. But it's not currently set up as a hotspot to my knowledge. But that's an interesting observation.

I'm not sure what "peer-to-peer mode" is for Android.

Googling

formatting link

I found this:

formatting link
Which says that two Android devices can connect in peer-to-peer mode (aka WiFi Direct).

I have never used WiFi Direct so I don't think it's in peer-to-peer mode. Besides, the phone connects to WiFi when I manually type in the (very long complex) SSID.

It just won't find any SSID when I press the scan button. I think it's time for a factory reset, which should fix the problem.

Reply to
Stijn De Jong

My phone finds all SSIDs, but connects to none. If I tap on the home ssid, it asks for the password (which it knows for sure).

Instead, I tap "more options", which displays the same list of SSIDs in white background instead of black. There I switch off the WiFi, than on again, and it instantly connects to my WiFi remembering its password.

This behaviour started about last November or December.

I also noticed that Bluetooth would not automatically connect to my car hands-free device. It has started working again after I received a security update about a week ago.

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

As I recall, my WiFi used to scan and show all the WiFi networks, and for those that I tapped on, it would first ask for the password and then always remember it from thence forward.

Now, it won't even scan, and yet, other apps (like Fritz WLAN) see the AP SSIDs quite clearly, and, if I *connect* to the network once manually into Android WiFi settings, then it remembers it from thence forward.

Funnily, if I don't connect, then it won't remember neither the SSID nor the passphrase, which is odd to say the least.

Anyway, my next factory refresh should solve whatever setting it was that screwed it up. I screw with Android settings often so this is just a nit in the scheme of things. I just don't understand why as what Jeff noted is good but I don't think it applied to my situation (which itself, admittedly, is different than most since I screw with settings all the time).

Reply to
Stijn De Jong

I cant answer your question, but I want to ask. Do you like Android?

I bought one of those low priced generic brand notepad computers. (Android). I personally do not like it. It works, but seems very clumsy, lacks a lot of the things that Windows has, and seems to severely lack any support.

That notepad now takes up space in my closet, and I went back to my 8 year old Windows XP laptop computer. It does so much more, does it easier, and has a lot more support.

Android seems to be on a lot of devices these days, but I am surely NOT impressed by it.

Just my 2 cents!

Reply to
oldschool

IMHO, a tablet is not a "work computer". I don't see it for writing reports or calc sheets. However, it is very good for reading things, watching videos... and in that role, Android is a much better OS than any Windows.

While saying that, remember that XP is _not_ supported.

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

What things that you need to do is lacking in Android? That does not mean which programs do you want to run. It's more like "what do you want to do with your computah"?

If you're looking for a Windoze replacement, I suggest you look at a Chromebook. It's similar to Android, but currently does not run Android apps. Chromebooks are cheap, totally functional, cheap, used heavily in skools, cheap, and do most things that you might need. No, they don't run Windoze programs, but there are equivalents available. Did I mention that they're cheap? The big catch is that you need a full time internet connection for it to work well. If you're on dialup, forget it. Most everything is done in the cloud, which can also become a security and privacy risk if misconfigured.

I recently bought yet another Chromebook for my own use. One like this for $185. It's a little to big to drag around so I'll be keeping my smaller Acer C720 (about $175 used) for looking cool at the coffee shop. I also have a small collection of ancient Samsung Chromebooks, which I loan to customers to try. Slow, but good enough.

Lack of support is a common problem. With Windoze, you probably need support as there are so many glitches and oddities. While your XP machine has had about 15 years to fix things and is probably manageable, the newer machines running Windoze 10 are an abomination. Look at it this way... if your new computer requires support in order to function, you're doing something wrong. If it works correctly, it shouldn't need support. Look at it another way... if skool kids can run a Chromebook, you should also be able to run one. "Google's Chromebooks make up half of US classroom devices sold"

If you're looking for programs, start at the Google Chrome store: and search for something. Basically, the way a Chromebooks works is that it will run anything that can be run inside the Chrome web browser. If it's available for Chrome as a web app or extension, then it will run. Web printing is a bit bizarre, but tolerable once you realize the your Chromebook doesn't need to drag around megabloats of printer drivers for every conceivable printer just to print.

As for tablets, I have a Google Nexus 7 Android tablet. Actually, I have several other high end tablets, all sitting in the closet. The only things I use the tablet for is wireless trouble shooting and playing Solitaire. Otherwise, it's a PITA to use without a keyboard. Enough about tablets.

If you decide to rush out and buy a Chromebook, please buy one with

4GB of RAM, not 2GB. Like XP, ChromeOS is growing and 2GB is too small for decent performance.

Anyway, just visit any skool or ask any skool kid for a demonstration.

Incidentally, most of the Chromebooks I've resold or advised customer to purchase were purchased as a "spare" laptop to take on trips. Getting a really expensive laptop stolen on a trip can be a big problem. So, instead of dragging a $1,000 Windoze laptop on a trip just to use email, they carry a $150-$300 Chromebook instead. If it's stolen, it's not a major loss.

Also, ChromeOS will eventually be able to run Android and possibly Windoze apps. Google is slooooowly working on it. There are currently only 3 models that will run Android apps. I tried an Acer R11 and was not impressed.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It's been almost 2 years since I bought that Android notebook. It's been in the closet for well over a year now. So, it's hard to remember what all the quirks were. I bought it because I need to use a WIFI spot regularly (only dialup at home). I dont like leaving my laptop computer in the car because it can get damaged, since there is not place to sit it in the car where it's safe. But that notepad fits in the glove box and was pretty safe there. The other reason I bought it was so I always had a camera handy.

What I do remember is that I found it would connect to the WIFI, but the browser was not easy to use. I found I could install something more familiar (Firefox), but doing the installation was something I could not figure out. Its not just a matter of downloading it and running the installer, (like in Windows). I did fight with it and managed to watch some youtube videos. Saving them was not possible, like it is with Firefox. When I did save something and wanted to copy it to computer, that again was near impossible.

Then came the camera. The stupid thing was only for selfies. I have absolutely no need for that. I turned it around and without seeing what I was shooting, I snapped some pics of my yard, in good light. The pics were absolutely horrid, grainy and lousy.

The other thing I remember was that since it'sd owned by Google, I was constantly having google trying to get me to download games. I dont play games at all, and that was very annoying.

Overall, it was a waste of money. I should list it on Craigslist and get what I can for it. I just went back to what I have always done. Take my laptop to town when I want to use WIFI, and keep my digital camera in my glove box. I also have an inverter so I can connect my laptop to the car battery to charge the battery.

I dont care if XP is not supported. It works, works well, and personally I would not even want any of Microsoft's newer bloated operating systems. I know Windows 10 is filled with MS spyware, but it seemed to me that Android was filled with google spyware too.

Reply to
oldschool

what about it wasn't easy?

it's actually easier to install apps since there is no installer. you just download the app directly from the play store.

not only possible, but fairly easy.

use the camera on the back, not the front.

google doesn't own your tablet.

oh, so you're a troll.

Reply to
nospam

Summary: I use my tablet a lot more than I thought I would.

Tablets come in two sizes.

1) too small to read and operate with fat fingers. 2) too big/heavy to hold comfortably.

The obvious solution is to have two or four.

For the first case, portability is a big plus.

Voice capability is amazing. I almost never have to pull a book off the shelf. I can get a conversion factor or food recipe just by asking. Even nonsense questions get answers. "How many milliliters in a week?" gets you everything you ever wanted to know about testosterone and baby formula. Both the cause and effect are covered. ;-)

I've been experimenting with an app called listnote. It does a pretty amazing job on English text with normal sentence structure. People bitch about how horrible speech recognition is. If you want to trip it up, it's certainly easy to do. If you try to work at the level it comprehends, it works amazingly well. Hmmm, wonder if we could get newsgroup participants to cooperate that way...but I digress. I type a lot faster than I can type. The amount of work needed to fix up my typos and dyslexia is on par with the amount to fix up voice recognition. Great for communication, but will be problematic if you need the nuance required to get that Pulitzer or Nobel-worthy chemistry paper.

Another benefit of typing with one finger is that it forces you to THINK about what you're saying and present it concisely. That alone would greatly enhance the newsgroup experience for all. Newsgroup readers also need a big button: "I've purged my indignation, so shitcan my outrage and move to the next topic." Or maybe we have to pay a nickel for each time we hit the send key. Wouldn't take long for some of us to reassess the value of our "contribution." ;-)

For the second case, a bluetooth keyboard/mouse solves the user interface problem. The screen is big enough to see. For watching videos, I chuck mine in a vehicle headrest mount and sit it on my stomach while lying down.

My desktops have their uses, but 90% of my actual screen time can be handled by a tablet. I'm gonna get a "convertible" when they start showing up in the free box at garage sales.

I've moved away from XP. Once you get used to the changes in the windows 7 user interface, It has a lot of helpful capability. Even win10 has settled down to the point that I find it tolerable. If they'd just quit forcing updates up my ass, I'd go back to metered internet and switch to win10.

Reply to
mike

SInce I'm elderly, I dont have thge best eyesight anymore. Cellphones are way to small for me to see anything. One guy I know is always shoving his phone in my face and saying look at this. I repeatedly have to tell him I cant read it, and if it's a picture, I only see a blur. I do not make a habit of carrying around my reading glasses. I only have them on me if I plan to read something. And yea, the keys are too small on all that stuff. I like a REAL keyboard. I always have a tough time doing texts on my flipphone.

Anyhow, even if a laptop computer is large and hard to hold, it is much better for me to use.

Nah, too much stuff to buy and maintain. My cellphone (flipphone) is just a phone, and that is all I really need to have with me. But if I want to use a WIFI, I have to plan in advance and bring my laptop with me. That's not always convenient, but it works. Besides that, owning a smartphone is too costly for my budget. I mostly just have a cellphone for emergency calls, but it does come in handy to call businesses to see if they have what I need, or if they are open, (when I am not home). But a prepaid cellphone is fairly cheap as long as the calls are short, whereas a contract for a smartphone is costly, especially when they allow for enough data to actually watch videos or spend considerable time shopping ebay or something like that.

These days, a person almost MUST have at least a basic cellphone, because there are no longer any pay phones, and in an emergency one needs some way to contact for help. But if I want to call and talk to a friend for an hour, I use my landline. I must keep my landline, because where I live (rural area), cellphone service is poor. Heck, a couple years ago, I saw smoke coming out of a building and could not get a cell signal, and there were no pay phones. By the time I drove to a place where I could get a phone signal, that building was entirely in flames and it was a total loss.

I later spoke with someone from the fire dept, and was told that they have been trying to get a cell tower in that area for years and all they get is a runaround. He said the population is too small to make it profitable. I proceeded to complain about why they removed the pay phone in that town, which was still there about 7 years ago, when they knew that there is no cell service there. He said they fought that with the local phone company too, and was told that pay phones were no longer maintained. Personally, none of that makes any sense.... Why was there better service back in the days before 2010? And why is maintaining a pay phone so difficult? It could have prevented a major fire, and could even save a life. STUPID STUPID....

Reply to
oldschool

For a smart phone, check out Republic wireless. About $ 15 a month for one plan. You get unlimiated talk and text. When around wifi you get free wifi data. If you are in a bind and really need the internet when there is no wifi around you can instantally switch plans and then back to basic later.

I got lucky and got in on some of the first of it and have the plan for $ 10 per month.

I find I use my smart phone to keep up the the apointments I have. One thing that almost makes it pay for its self is the Walmart money back app. Take a pix of the bar code and a few dys later Walmart will check to see if any other store has a cheeper price. If so you get the difference. I usually save about $ 2 or more per week on a $ 200 grocery bill.

formatting link

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Many's the device with but a single camera, on one side only.

Reply to
tlvp

republic wireless requires specific phones which are modified to work with their service.

but no data.

data costs extra, as much as $90/mo for 10 gig data.

one need not sign up with any service to use wifi, which may not necessarily be free.

Reply to
nospam

usually on the back, not the front.

if there's only a camera on the front and the user wants something other than selfie's, then they have only themselves to blame for buying the wrong product.

Reply to
nospam

When you tack a new gadget with an unfamiliar operating system, Android in this case, you need an open mind. And ask around things that you find difficult to do, maybe you are doing it wrong.

Installing an app is trivial in Android, but different than in Windows.

Just find the wanted app in "Google Play" app, tap "install", exit "Google Play", tap on the new app icon. Done.

This is intentional.

A tablet is not a laptop, it is different.

Most tablets have two cameras, one front, one rear (usually a better one). There is a button on the camera app to choose which.

The front camera is not only for selfies; it is intended, as in many laptops, for video conferencing.

If your gadget doesn't have a rear camera, well, then, you bought the wrong device. And cheap devices have lousy cameras, that's a fact.

That is, you can buy a tablet for 50 euros or dollars. But don't expect much from those. Just entry devices to explore and find out if you want a better one or not.

No, it is not.

That wasn't google. That was the vendor of your device. Some brands are bad at that.

You should. It is open to viruses. It can be used by hackers as a platform to attack other computers from other people.

Google does want to know what you do, yes, but they don't hide that fact. They are quite open about it. They differentiate what is private and treat it as such.

On Windows 10 you can easily disable what is generally considered intrusive. You just need a list of those things and disable them, as several howtos in the net explain how to do it.

I'm not a Windows lover, my system of choice is Linux. However, I find Windows 10 quite good, considering, once customized. I prefer Windows 7, but 10 is safer.

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

LOL:I think snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com would beg to differ :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

He said it was a notepad with Android. It is not strange having only a front camera . for video-conferencing, not for photo taking.

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

Not really that strange and quite common. For example, all laptops and Chromebooks only have one camera facing the user. That's good for video chat (Skype) but really awkward for taking camera photos.

Some feature phones have only a front facing camera, suitable for taking pictures, but not selfies or video chat. For these, there are clip on mirrors for redirecting the image: or for user facing cameras on smartphones: No clue if these things are actually useful or if they don't mangle the image.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.