iPIG

Has anyone tested the iPIG VPN client? If so, what did you think of it? What happens to the data when it enters the iOPUS servers?

Reply to
Doug Jamal
Loading thread data ...

I use it and it works well for me. Technically what happens when the data enters the iOpus iPig servers is that they decrypt it and send it to the final destination. That is exactly the same as all other VPN services (Google Secure Access,...) do.

Is there a guarantee that do not do something "bad" with the data? No! But again, this is the same for all companies providing VPN servers. Overall, the company looks trustworthy.

The best solution is if set up your own iPig server, using the free iPig Server Express Edition. This way _no_ data enters the iOpus servers! That is what I do and this is something you can not do with any of the other services. I only use the iOpus servers if my own iPig server is down for some reasons. Peter

Reply to
peter20052005

Thanks for your response. I've been using the iPIG client for the past few days and it seems to be doing what it is intended to do. I even went to Shield's Up to see what ports were open and was surprised to find several ports open. Like you, I plan to set up my own iPIG server and see how I like it. Again, thanks for the response and take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

But less secure than using SSL to the remote endpoint.

Much depends on the credibility of the provider.

I would say just the opposite -- totally unknown, no real information on who is behind it, and a business model (free servers) that doesn't make sense.

That won't protect you against malware -- how do you know that your iPig software isn't phoning home? Better to use software from a more reliable source; e.g., use PPTP or (better) IPsec built into your OS, and set up an open source VPN server.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.