how do you know if anyone is piggy backing

Hi im new to this wireless thing but ive my computer hardwired to the router and my sons laptop is wireless to it and im just wondering how do you find out if anyone is piggybacking on to it.

thanks

Reply to
William Ervine
Loading thread data ...

You would look at the routers configurations pages which should tell you what is connected to it. Joan

Reply to
Joan Archer

Use this freebie. Easy to use.

formatting link
Very good little app.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

AirSnare Wireless Intrusion Detection:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:14:49 -0000, "Joan Archer" wrote: : William Ervine wrote: : > Hi im new to this wireless thing but ive my computer hardwired to the : > router and my sons laptop is wireless to it and im just wondering how : > do you find out if anyone is piggybacking on to it. : >

: > thanks : : You would look at the routers configurations pages which should tell you : what is connected to it.

Most (but not all) routers with DHCP servers keep track of this information, but most access points (which rarely have DHCP servers) don't.

But the real point is that it's much easier to turn on encryption and prevent the piggybacking than it is to figure out whether anyone's doing it to you.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Coe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ In every assembly, of whatever size, passion will always steal the crown from reason. John Adams

Reply to
Tom

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.