Intruder in my wireless network? / intrusion detection programs

You live near a campus, 2 university professors, do you even read your own posts?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico
Loading thread data ...

Your mom is way more the typical computer user then a nerd hanging out in a newsgroup like this.

Reply to
Rico

Yes, and while no doubt like everyone who reads slashdot you think it is because microsoft holds a gun to every best buy manager's head. Or perhaps that is what people want, something that just works (most of the time).

Reply to
Rico

Please share wiht us the name of any product that is perfect in everyway.

Reply to
Rico

Please feel free to post a link (use google groups if needed) where I have said such tools DO NOT EXIST!!! You just refuse to see the point you ar eso caught up in fear mongering. The point once again is no one is going to use the tools on your home network. Why would they? In just another thread starte over the weekend someone was posting about buying a wireless card plugging it in and low and behold an open network. No need to install linux or knoppix or what ever, just power up and use the open network, only an idiot would waste time and effort breaking in to a house when the one next door is wide open.

Reply to
Rico

Seen any real indictation these two have actually hacked into the neighbor's wireless? I don't understand why 'you' would bother, there are just too many wide open networks around.

Reply to
Rico

Exactly you can't show where I am wrong. In a weeks time, not a single bit to show where a (minimally) secured wireless home network has been breached.

Reply to
Rico

Because they're a bored geeky teenager.

If it's merely for internet access then I agree, really I do but there are these bored geeky teenagers out there that want to earn the title of "script kiddie" and it's actually more fun for them to try to "Hack in" to someone's network because they can claim status points with geeky friends. They'll have their own Internet connection already so it's not about gaining free access.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Rico, what proof do you want? Please tell us precisely in what format you need your proof.

As I said, if you want me to go and find one to crack and then self incriminate so that I can be in the news just for this, it ain't gonna happen!

Just because you haven't read it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I'm still waiting for a link to my "Borl" multi nationality power strip. :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Why on earth do you think University professors need to live near a campus? They certainly don't _constitute_ a campus. One of them actually works for a small U in New York city - we're 65 kilometers from Halifax, NS. The other works for a university in Halifax.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

They say they have. Good enough indication for me.

As David says, because there's no fun in hacking an open network.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Let's see to get to class to teach?

THat's waht a 25 to 30 minute drive, that's close.

Reply to
Rico

The risk there is said kiddie coming thru your firewall in some fashion, tons more of them that can find you that way then physically get within a few hundred yards of your house. Remember, they gotta be physically close (shotgun/big dog range).

Reply to
Rico

When I was 14 or 15 I if asked would claim not to be a virgin, I was at the time lieing. Thought it made me sound more grown up/cool.

Reply to
Rico

Have I denied any offered proof or questioned a single source? Not sure where your question comes from. Any news story. Something more then the neighbor's kid (teen trying to sound cool) saying he has done it. The local newspaper from where ever, CNN, the NYT. Any indication that this has actually happened (outside a lab/university proof of concept). If it has actually happened, I would think it fairly easy to demonstrate. It took me less then 5 minutes the other day to post a link where an unsecured network had been breached.

Of course not, but people get caught robbing banks, stealing candy from

7-11. Surely if this is even a tiny bit as common as you suggest at least ONE person has been caught.

But it is a pretty solid indicator it is a rare event.

I'm

Have fun, don't see what this has to do with anything. Are you upset that Best Buy or Fry's doesn't have one?

Reply to
Rico

I disagree. You aren't thinking along the mindset of todays script kiddie. There's no entertainment with messing with someone anonymous compared to Mr Jones over the road who you see every day.

Are you assuming that the world is the comprised of houses that are several miles apart? From my house here in the UK I can pick up serveral AP's, there are flats where each room is a seperate residence. Not exactly hard to contemplate that there's traffic around is it?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

That's what I'm getting at, so what you're saying is that unless it's

*reported* news then the event hasn't happened?

You're missing the point. You aren't going to believe that it has happened unless you see it as a URL which is a bit head in the sand in my view.

Rare? You said it has NEVER happened, are you now accepting that it has? :)

I wouldn't know whether Best Buy or Fry's do or don't have them, i'm not in the US. Simply my point there is that I simply cannot find any reference to the device I have yet they're clearly available.

Don't you find it odd that I can find absolutely no reference to either the brand name or the actual device on the Internet? I do and I find it exceedingly frustrating especially as the irony is that it's manufactured in the country in which I live yet I can't find anything, nothing whatsoever about it.

You'd think I could find at least one URL to prove that it exists wouldn't you?! It's the same argument as you're standing against, no URL so it can't exist.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Well, yes I admit, I'd like something more then just the kid down the block's word for it. Not doubting you, but come on, with it happening all the time as suggested here (there are a lot of older APs and Wnics with just WEP support) I just find it incrediable that not a single documented case of someone being caught. Again the nlink I posted a few days ago, guy is caught in an open network. Now consider the slightly longer (as weak as they say WEP is) by a minute to crack the encryption and still no one caught...

Not really, just pointing out that by your own lack of any indication that it has ever happened, your best argument would seem to be it is extremely rare.

The url here would be a link to a news source. Likely has escaped your notice but just about all of the major news outlets now have websites (they are after all sellign advertising etc, they need eyeballs). That none in this case exists would seem a pretty good indicator.

Reply to
Rico

How many cases of people being prosecuted for using open networks without permission can you find? How often is that actually happening?

Less often by a long way than just hopping on an open network, certainly but it depends on what the definition of rare is.

Not sure what you're meaning there. I have this powerstrip, made in England, Registered Trademark of "Borl" Model number BL-144.

Seriously, see if you can find anything on it. It *must* be on the internet, you'd think a manufacturer would want to promote it's product for sale yes? More so than someone advertising that they'd like to be prosecuted yes?

Humour me, see what you can find.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Who said it happened all the time? Not me, not John or David (that I've seen). If it's just 0.1% of the users out there, there would be hundreds of thousands of dangerous hackers in North America. It's probably far less than that, even, but why risk it when security is simple?

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.