Intruder in my wireless network? / intrusion detection programs

Actually it is just the opposite. According to MS a Windows OEM license such as supplied by dell is married to that specific computer as stated by the other poster.

Reply to
George
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Citation?

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

XP Home SP2 EULA |

formatting link

1. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer.

Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include the Software and the Proof of License label. The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sure, direct from Bill:

? OEM software cannot be transferred. An OEM Windows operating system license cannot be transferred from one computer system to another, even if the computer system on which it was originally installed is no longer in use. It is tied to the initial computer on which it was installed.*

formatting link

Reply to
George

George hath wroth:

I sometimes get out of warranty Dell machines in the office where the hard disk has died and I have to do a reinstall. If the customer didn't order the CD's with their system ($10 extra), I use a common Dell supplied XP Home SP2 cdrom to do the reinstall on the new hard disk. What's interesting is that it doesn't ask for an MS serial number. I just invents one from somewhere and continues merrily on its way. I don't recall if it asked to activate, but I don't think it did. (I've only done this twice so far and was in a rush both times). The new serial number does not match that of the serial number sticker. I don't know if this constitutes "transfering" as serial number to a new machine, but it certainly saves me quite a bit of time doing Dell hard drive replacements.

Also, a customer bought a new Dell which ate the hard disk in a few weeks. Warranty service sent out a tech who installed the replacement drive in the machine, and drove away, leaving the customer to deal with the Windoze reinstall. I had to supply the missing XP Home SP2 cdrom. It also did not ask for a serial number.

Incidentally, you'll find the EULA for your system in: c:\\winnt\\system32\\eula.txt or you can use the Windoze help program to find and display the EULA.

My retail W2K EULA is a bit different than the XP EULA.

Software Product Transfer. You may permanently transfer all of your rights under this EULA only as part of a permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE, provided you retain no copies, you transfer all of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA and, if applicable, the Certificate(s) of Authenticity), and the recipient agrees to the terms of this EULA. If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is an upgrade, any transfer must also include all prior versions of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link

That's what I was thinking of, but I've now done some more research, and the Microsoft position is that the EULA doesn't apply to SLP. See

Windows Desktop operating systems preinstalled on a PC cannot be transferred or reassigned to another machine. The license is always tied to the original PC, even if the PC is no longer in use.

The question remains whether such a restriction is actually enforceable, given that you've paid for a license, other than by means of denying Product Activation. I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is that you might prevail in challenging this restriction in Small Claims Court.

Reply to
John Navas

OEM lives and dies with the machine. If you have purchased an OEM version, it is only for that machine. You do not have the legal right to transfer without first purchasing an upgrade to the full version which provides those legal rights.

formatting link

4th slide, note the words "Non transferable"

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I doubt it, you have agreed to the terms when you complete the pre- install. Is it phyhsically enforceable? Not really.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

what specifically are you using that does not have a *nix analog?

Reply to
prodigal1

yes Dave, it's called trimming a post

read again Dave, "one of the reasons". Windows is s**te because it is a flawed product. Paying for it and going through the licensing horsebleet you described in your post only adds insult to injury.

non sequitur, but nice try. If you want to enjoy Windows then by all means go ahead and fill your boots. Please don't get your knickers in a knot though when someone who has a clue points out that it is a flawed commercial product...on many levels.

Reply to
prodigal1

*All* comparable software is flawed...on many levels. Regardless, please take your OS advocacy to a more appropriate forum.
Reply to
John Navas

Not relevant to this newsgroup.

Reply to
John Navas

That's valid for SLP, no license key or activation required.

Reply to
John Navas

I disagree

Reply to
David Taylor

It would be compliant because you aren't transfering anything. The original box had XP home and still does after you are done.

Reply to
George

Perhaps more time spent reading posts and less time pontificating is in order there John. If you review the context, I was _responding_ to another poster's comments abouut licensing requirements for Windows, a topic also OT for this ng which you seemed quite eager to join in on as well, and in a rather pedantic fashion. I'm not advocating anything but choice and I'll continue to post whatever I think, whenever I choose. You however are free to continue to wear your netcop hat.

Reply to
prodigal1

heh heh, that's funny. Nice dodge John.

Reply to
prodigal1

While I agree, you're still happily extending the life of the subthread about using OEM versions of Windows on a second computer. Please practice what you preach.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

I respectfully suggest that you take your own advice. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Thats the best you can do at rational argument is it? Well done. Especially given that my point was in your favour.

(for the record, my mum still finds it hard to programme the VCR).

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.