How Do I Stay Put on My Own Wireless Network?

I have several wireless computers in my home, two are running Windows XP and two are running Windows 2000. I would like to be able to stay connected to my own wireless network, but find that I cannot always do that. I leave the computer while connected to my own network, but when I return I sometimes find I'm connected to someone else's nearby unsecured network. How can I prevent this from happening?

Thanks

Reply to
dejola
Loading thread data ...

What? Is this only happening on XP? That's the O/S that will seek out networks and try to connect to them. Have you tried setting the

*preferred network* on XP so that it will lock in your network. You can also disable Wireless Zero Configuration Service on XP that makes the computer roam on the wireless and connect to other networks.

Win 2k is not doing it right?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

set your own network to be the only "preferred network", and ensure that your neighbours networks are removed from the list.

Only if you don't use the "preferred network" setting....

Its not a feature of WZC as such. I use WZC and do not have this problem. My preferred networks list contains my two APs and excludes my two neighbour's APs, and I have no issues. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I never said preferred network was a feature of WZC. But I myself did have the problem with my XP laptop where it would roam and try to connect to other networks in the area. All I did was disable WZC on the machine and the problem was solved. I didn't need it to be roaming and would never be in a situation where I needed that feature.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You'll need also to make sure that your SSID is different too.

Reply to
__spc__

I have the same issue on WInXP Pro except the other networks are secure and I can't get XP to use only mine. How to I disallow XP to use ANY other network other than mine? I don't see in the configuration anywhere to remove a particular SSID, in facct one guy uses his MAC address as his SSID.

Sometimes I get on my network fine but I think as soon as the guy turns his on XP transfers to that one. Is it possible that his signal is more powerful than mine because my WAP is in my basement and my laptop is on the first floor? I'm looking for any help I can get short of running a hard wire upstairs but if that's the only answer I'll do it and get rid of the wireless.

Thanks

Reply to
Scooterflex

I forgot to say I have a Linksys WAP54G Version 1.

Reply to
Scooterflex
  1. Make your SSID unique.
  2. Go to Control Panel -> Network Connections Right click on Wireless Network Connection Click Properties Click Wireless Networks Remove all entries from Preferred Networks Click Advanced button (not tab) Remove check from "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks" Close all dialogs
  3. Connect to your own network
Reply to
John Navas

Thanks... I'll do this on my laptop first chance I get.

Reply to
Scooterflex

I tried this a little while ago and here are the problems I'm facing:

1) There is no way for me to remove any, let alone any, of the SSIDs in the list. They only appear in the upper portion, not in the lower portion of the dialog. Being that the SSIDs are not appearing in the lower portion of the box the 'Remove' button is grayed out. I can add though but that won't help me in this instance.

2) The box next to 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks' was already not checked.

3) Now I have two other SSIDs there whereas before I only had one. (three total now) It found another one but I've seen this one before so it's not new.

I can post a screen shot of the dialog if you want to see what I'm talking about. I even tried to remove it from the Linksys Utility for my Linksys WiFi card but it doesn't give me the option there to remove it either. It did tell me that my SSID had a 77% signal where the other one had a 51% signal but it still connects to that one, not mine.

Any ideas as to what I should do? I'm at a complete loss. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Reply to
Scooterflex

Which do you have set to control your wireless, Windows XP or the Linksys utility? If "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" is:

• Isn't checked, then it's the Linksys utility, and you have to solve the problem there.

• Is checked, then it's Windows XP, and given your #1 and #2, you shouldn't be connecting automatically to *any* network -- you would have to select an SSID and click Connect. That networks appear in "Available networks" just means that they exist, not that you're connected.

[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
Reply to
John Navas

It is checked. I got it to worked for now but I have everything set to defaults on the wap. It will be at least a week or two brfore I'm able to play with it any further because I had an accident on my motorcycle Tuesday night. I broke my collor bone and banged myself up pretty bad but the colloar bone is the worst of it.

thanks to everyone for your help.

Feb

Reply to
Scooterflex

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.