Intruder in my wireless network? / intrusion detection programs

I would say, check again.. That strange connection still showed for a while, even though I had the computer turned off... It finally disappeared when I power cycled the router (it would stay for a long time if I just left it, don't know how long, since I got impatient).. From your other posts, it sure sounds like this may be a possibility...

A q for you, is it actually doing anything? Reason I ask, is that I have a DVR with built in wireless stuff, and it was actually showing up even though it wasn't doing anything..

You said in another post that it was there but you couldn't see it doing anything... Sounds like what I see from my DVR (I haven't installed the software to let me download programs from it yet.. 8/9 Gigabyte files over wireless!?!, just so I can watch a show on a laptop!?!? don't think I care for it)... Got a PDA with built in wireless? My iPAQ was showing up, cuz it was turned on in it's charging cradle.

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Think about using a word with a number instead of a letter (for instance, while the word merlin is in the dictionary, replace the i with the number one ie merl1n, looks almost the same, easy to enter, but not dictionary matchable)

Reply to
Peter Pan

WEP is vulnerable no matter what the key! That aside, your example would still be vulnerable to brute force attack, and might even be in a hacking dictionary that included obvious substitutions (e.g., 0 for O, 1 for i or l). Thus a short password is *never* a good idea. Likewise underestimating the sophistication of an attack.

Reply to
John Navas

No installed is required. There are really nicely bootable CDs available.

Reply to
George

Ok, tell me how one proves a negative. I'm all ears/eyes. As to listening to people trying to scare you, by all means, the politicians are praying nightly that you can be made affraid of the boogie man. Why not have an industry rather then taking a serious look at the risk.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

How many people in your neighborhood are likely to do this just to hack your network? Be serious, Windows is on 90+% of computers because most people are not interested in learning how to run vi, configure this gizmo or that etc. They want to email, excel and act and maybe powerpoint. You assume way too much about the people around you.

Give me a break!!!!! If you are not intelligent enough to understand what was meant by this, are you sure you should be reproducing? I just know you aren't as stupid as this makes you sound, not trying to flame you here, but why are you picking nits???

Hmm, kinda took out the context, is that how you operate, remove context, isolate a statement from the context so that it seems wrong. But tell me how one of these list based passwords in your WAP will stop the NSA or whomever from intercepting your email at the ISP level?

So let's see you ar ecompariung an odd ball product to a news story in terms of the odd ball product bought in Kuwait would more likely be found then say a story in the New York Times or LA Times etc about wireless networks actually being hacked?

Unbeleivable!!!

Reply to
Rico

All require Linux and a knowledge of how to get a wifi card up and running. Nice try. Again NOT readily available. Which one of these is a binary immediately installable into Windows?

100% lack of any evidense to the contrary. Not a single instance cited byu the king of the paranoids around here. Forget your monthly post about strong passwords WPA weaker then ice water etc. Still you can't show where in the real world any of this is true. Not a single instance.

Show me the smoke. Real world, not pie in the paranoids' sky.

WAP? Passphrase in your WAP has what to do with this?

And yet, it seems to have NEVER happened to a home network, actually I se you haven't even posted a business this has happened to (and they would clearly be a juicer target, but in fairness I did say home network). We seen cases of no security where the network was breached, but where is the one with the simplest of passphrases in place?

And a passphrase on your WAP will have what impact on this?

To suggest it is a big threat is base fear mongering. Just basic WPA or WEP is more then enough. Again this real threat seems to have never ever happened.

But fear mongering seems like such a natural...

Oops, you didn't highlight the link, which one was it? Seriousily I missed the it. Did you forget to paste it in? None of the ones above was a home network in the real world. I have no doubt it can and has been done in a labratory, but where is the link to it happened on Oak Street, Sometown, USA?

Reply to
Rico

Gonna need MadWifi and a few others on that bootable Knoppix

Reply to
Rico

Use merlin, don't add the digit, no one will ever attempt to break into your home network (well they might, but they won't succeed). Not via your wireless, there are good reasons for a firewall on that internet connection, but your wireless links with just the simplest bit of security (home network) is plenty.

Reply to
Rico

What grade are you in? Ever take a debating class yet? It is impossible to prove a negative, even you right here admit you can't concieve of how it can be done.

Reply to
Rico

The DHCP server uses a table to keep track of the IPs it hands out. It doesn't typically poll the list to see if everyone with a lease is still there. Result you could some time after all computers have left the network see their 'old' IPs still in the table. At some point in time the server will clean the table, nost likely when it expects lease to expire. This is no biggie here though I can see where it could be initially unnerving to see IPs supposedly in use when 'no one' is on the network.

Cool a wireless DVR, what brand? Now that is a great additional use for a wireless network.

Yeah at 54 (really about half that) megabits, moving a multi gigabyte movie/program would be a real pain. For moving something like that to the laptop etc, I might rethink running a wire even if just temporary basis.

Reply to
Rico

Such bundles are neatly packaged and readily available for download, as I've already pointed out.

Reply to
John Navas

It's a Toshiba DVR, with a USB connection (I have a linksys USB/WiFi dongle one it, so I can access it with the TivoToGo stuff on the laptops)... Tried hardwiring once to my router (USB to Ethernet adapter), but it was still slower than molasses in january.. Does have a dvd reader/writer, so I just bought some blanks and burn a dvd now and play it on the laptops.. It was the USB/WiFi dongle that was showing up as a strange IP address on my wap till I figured out what it was.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Let's leave off the logical fallacies. I can't do anything about the sun exploding (though there is a prof. in California who's working on the problem) while I _can_ do something about wireless network hacking.

You said that if you were that concerned, you shouldn't use wireless. I disagreed.

Actually, (a) you never asked for examples where it had happened to me or anyone else on the group, and (b) you didn't ask _me_ to provide citations - you asked John. I can, in fact, say it _hasn't_ happened to me. I'm not even very concerned that it _will_ happen to me. It's just plain insane not to take basic precautions - which means a reasonable secure, non-dictionary, password if you use WPA. I agree that you _don't_ need to go so far

OK, so now you're asking me - and I'll say I don't need to know it's happened to somebody else to want to protect my system from it. The tools exist. A sysadmin of my acquaintance _does_ use them for security audits. My (non-wireless) system has been hacked before. So _why_ would I leave my system wide open?

Duh? Didn't I just say that I would be worried _IF_ there were any other types of teenagers around? The worst I worry about from these guys is the broken beer bottles. I wish they'd put them back in the case and just dump it at the end of my driveway.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Lets see. In _my_ neighborhood, Linux runs on 20% of computers. None of the users actually know how to use vi - it's not necessary. 100% of those computers will actually boot the WEP hacking CD. 80% of those computers are owned by certifiable geeks of some degree. Really, if I didn't trust the other 4, I'd be worried. Of course 60% of them are already _inside_ my wireless net.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

SheeshH! (A) Linux is available on dozens of live-CDs - every one of them trivial to use. Stick in CD, boot.

(B) _I_ use Ubuntu Linux full-time. _I_ don't know how to set up a wifi card (I'm sure I could figure it out - but I haven't needed to). It's automagic, just like Windows.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Not.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

yawn I'm going to turn the noise down and the signal up. I think you can figure out what that means.

Reply to
prodigal1

Hardly. I'm pretty useless with linux yet even I can get a Dlink DWL650 nicely running with the atheros chipset (all drivers already there thanks) in the Audtior collection build, which boots off a CD by the way.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Well interesting that you accuse me of removing context yet then go on about people not interested in learning how to run vi.

There's no need to learn that, just download a bootable CD, follow the many scripts on the net, that's all there is to it. Have you tried?

You remain mistaken.

Well consider it a challenge. I have a real product, made in England yet i've never seen one here, nor can I find *ANY* reference whatsoever one the internet. Don't you think that's odd? I do but just because I can't find a link doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You're asking the same, you want a link that says:-

"Hey i'm schoolboy Jake, I live at xyz and I've just hacked my neighbour".

See if you can find my powerstrip branded Borl with made in England that takes 14 different types of powerplug. :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.