channel in ad-hoc vs. infrastructure mode

Something goofy with my Linksys usb adapter, (wusb54gs). If I set to to infrastructure, I can't change the channel. Ad-hoc lets me change channels? Have latest driver, wazzup here? Thanks LT

Reply to
LT
Loading thread data ...

That's normal. The WUSB54GS is a client radio. In infrastructure mode, the channel is set by the access point (or wireless router), not in the client radio. However, in ad-hoc, there is not controlling access point to set the channel, so it has to be manually set by each client radio.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

So if I change my router to channel 11, the usb adapter will automatically find it? What about if I use channels 12 or 13 with the hyperwrt firmware? Thanks LT

Reply to
LT

In infrastructure mode, that's exactly how it works.

Well, in the USofA, we don't have channel 12 and 13. Those are legal in some countries, but not other. Since you're posting from comcast.net, it would be a fair assumption that you are in the USofA, and therefore 12 and 13 are not legal or available. I doesn't matter as your USofA USB adapter probably does not know about 12 and 13, and therefore will not "find" the hacked access point. It's also a waste of time if you're trying to find an interference free area. Channel

13 is 10Mhz above channel 11, but the 802.11b/g signal is 25Mhz wide. Therefore, you'll still get some interference from Channel 11 users.

Before you interfere with another service, methinks you should also know whom you're trashing so that when they bang on your door, you have an advanced clue as to why they are irate. See:

formatting link
page 53. 2483.5-2500MHz is allocated to several "radio determination" and mobile space to earth satellite services. Currently, this is in use by internationally by Globalstar for GMPCS satellite CDMA phone service. So, when your neighbors complain that their overpriced satellite phone doesn't work in the area around your house, you'll understand why you're being hauled off as principal guest at a bonfire barbeque.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"LT" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I don't know what's up as you should be able to change channels in any mode at least on the B version I use. I don't see how that would be any different on a G. May be uninstalling and reinstalling the driver may help.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.