infrastructure mode

In infrastructure mode, the access point sets the channel for all connected client radios. The client radios scan all the channels until it hears an access point. There is no channel control on the client radios.

In ad-hoc mode, there is no access point to run things. Therefore, each client has to pre-set its own channel manually.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I would like to know how to change channels when you have your wireless network set up in 'infrastructure' mode. This is probably something simple but I am missing it. I am working with a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and two Linksys wireless notebook adapters. I can change the channel in 'Ad Hoc' mode but not the other mode. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rocco

Reply to
Rod Long

Okay, thanks for the input. Now, when I tried 'Ad Hoc' mode neither adapter could find the access point to connect to the net. I wanted to change channels because my buddy lives in an apartment directly above a party store and he has his access point in the kitchen of the apartment. The store has some steel girders within it's construction and the store is full of electronic equipment(freezers, cash registers, ovens, deli cases, etc.) and he said that he couldn't get a signal in most parts of the store. His office is in the back of the store and when I first installed the wireless gear, it worked fine right out of the box. But the signal is now inconsistent and I thought if I changed the channel I could get a more consistent signal. There is only about 50-60 feet between the AP and his office. He wants to use his notebook and get online (he has cable internet access) wherever he wants when he is in the store. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Rod Long

In Infrastructure mode, the channel is set by the AP, and the Station has no control of channel.

Reply to
Fresnel Fadermargini

Okay, let me get this straight...I will configure the AP(with the adapters already installed and their software installed in infrastructure mode) and the adaptere will set the channels when they access the AP? Sounds great. You guys got it goin' on. The only problem I have now is trying to uninstall the software(I wanted to start with a clean install). It is not in the program groups with it's uninstall utility, nowhere in the startup group, nowhere in the registry, I used msconfig and it is nowhere there either, and it is not on the the hard drive that I can find. But when I go to 'reinstall' the software, it says that the drivers are already loaded and to uninstall them through the utility in the programs group. This is challenging to say the least. Thanks so much for your input.

Rocco

Reply to
Rod Long

Ad hoc mode won't use the wireless access point. You want infrastructure mode set, then access the wireless access point however you do that( usually the ip address of it in a browser but it depends on the model). then change the channel on the wireless access point as explained by a previous poster.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

This is not surprising - in ad-hoc mode, access points are not used.!

Change the channel on your AP, and let your clients find it.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Then look for a programs menu item "your card provider" and see if there's an uninstall programme. For instance my Belkin cards created a "Belkin" menu item.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Nothing is there and it looks like there is no evidence of the software anywhere on the computer until..........next day..........Okay, finally tried 'system restore'. It froze the computer..twice. Booted into safe mode and found nothing again. Then tried chkdisk(old scandisk)..system stopped responding. Turned the computer off for awhile. Then turned it back on..tried chkdisk again. It worked this time. Then tried 'system restore' again. It worked this time. Turned computer off..put wireless adapter back in slot..turned it on..it installed the software successfully. Everything works fine now. Whew! What the _______! Would it be pointless to ask what happened? Probably. But now all is well with my friend's wireless network. Thanks for all of the input.

Rocco

Reply to
Rod Long

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.