How to boost our Linksys WRT150N's signal -- across the house?

no biggie, heck it works, and since you have s2's and s3's you don't have to worry about gotchas.. until the fall update, the tivo wireless only supported wep (they added wpa in the fall software update, don't know about s1 tivos, nor directivo's)... (my pda only supports wep, so when I changed from wep to wpa after the tivo software update had to figger out what worked and what didn't anymore)

That unit (both the 150 and 300 default to b/g/n (compatibility with b/g devices), it's only when you make them n ONLY that the tivos won't see/work with em, and you run into the my n and their n definitions problems)

not sure what version of iphone you have, but the one i have works on b/g compatibility, not n only.... same with my tablet and pda (and the pda only work on b/g wep)

at any rate, the hobbling was in reference to your making changes for seemless roaming... I just have two different ssid's and plug the second into the router part of the first (no changing ip addresses, or disabling/hobblng, parts of a wap/router to make it a wap only)

like i said, heck it works for you, there is no right/wrong/only one way to do it, just wanted to warn you about some gotchas I ran into, in case they applied/made sense in your situation.....

just out of cuurioity, what Panasonic phones?

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

==============================

(pasting from another post)

I was about to spend $50 or more to replace our handset for our old Panasonic phone (

formatting link
) when I realized that for $71, I could buy a whole new system -- with three handsets, rather than the two we have now:

formatting link
I considered spending a little more for "digital," but I didn't know exactly what it would get me and I didn't like the reduced battery life.

==============================

New thoughts:

I'm not sure we're happy with the sound quality of the new phones. I guess that I was so busy thinking about networking that I was hoping I could just take it easy on the phone decision, figuring that any new-ish phone with good Amazon reviews would be good enough.

Now that they're here, I'm starting to wonder. For example, our old phones were 5.8 GHz. The new ones are 1.9 GHz. Does a higher number of GHz mean better sound quality? I hadn't even considered that when I was purchasing. (In fact, if you had asked me, I would have reported that our old phones must be 2.4 GHz.)

I was just so happy to see that over 500 reviewers gave the phone an average rating of 4.5 stars that I figured I was done. I read up a bit, mostly comparing this phone to a model that was similar but "digital," and decided that I didn't know what digital would get me, and that I wanted 17 hours of talk time rather than 5 hours.

I didn't read up on whether the new phone had more than one voicemail box, or what exactly I was giving up by not going "digital," or whether the GHz was an indication of signal strength, or simply what frequency it broadcast on, etc.

Now that I've got the network set up, I'll probably see if there's a Panasonic that seems to stomp the one we bought, and consider doing an exchange.

Reply to
dgates

Just in case you can't get enough on the topic of Panasonic phones, here are the two Panasonic phones I see at Amazon that are probably a little better than our new one.

Ours:

formatting link
$15 more and "digital":
formatting link
$30 more and "titanium":
formatting link

These other two models offer some features that ours don't:

- talking caller ID, which I hear is actually handy

- call block, which would help with any callers who bug us repeatedly

- backlit keypads

- phone book stored in base (rather than in each handset)

- programmable night mode (certain phones won't ring during certain hours)

- Clarity Booster ("combines two voice paths helping the handset to improve clarity in an area where there may otherwise be interference")

I can't be sure if "Clarity Booster," or any of the other features mean better sound or not, but the features themselves sound good enough that we should probably upgrade, if we don't mind the shipping hassle.

They all use the latest "Dect 6.0" technology. I don't know if that's good or not. They're all 1.9 GHz, rather than 5.8 GHz. I don't know if that's bad or not.

Reply to
dgates

Worth its weight in gold if you ever try to dial where there is not lots of light!!!!!!!!

I _really_ miss this feature as its missing from my current home phone.

Reply to
Kim Clay

the GHZ says what frequency it works on, not usually a major problem, but they used to use the same freq's (2.4 GHZ) as networks, some are still sold at that freq, and sometimes caused errors in wireless networks, and interference with tivo wireless g's.....

just an aside, something I found sort of handy, some have headset jacks (work with some of the same headsets/earpeices for cell phones).. nice to be able to put it in your pocket and still talk hands free while you cook/clean/watch tv/putter...

At any rate (Another aside) they now make combo cell/wifi phones, since you are movin on up in technology, thought you may be looking at those (new app for iphone does cell when away from net, voip when network available/connected... you (I think/I forget a lot) mentioned something about already having iphones, thought you may have checked out that app)

Reply to
Peter Pan

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 17:49:59 -0800, dgates wrote in :

The best phones are digital spread spectrum. I use and recommend Panasonic Gigarange. Some of the analog and basic digital phones are pretty bad. Be sure any cordless phones are not on 2.4 GHz, or they can cause serious grief with your Wi-Fi.

Reply to
John Navas

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 17:49:59 -0800, dgates wrote in :

"If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

Non-digital phones tend to be poor.

Reply to
John Navas

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 06:40:03 -0800, dgates wrote in :

Great!

Fair criticism -- guilty as charged. I'm often too terse, depending on the other party to ask questions as needed, and I tend to assume you've read the Wireless Wiki. ;)

Good.

If a device has profiles of two different SSIDs, it should select the network with the stronger signal. What it won't do is roam from one to the other -- it will stay connected unless and until it loses that connection whereupon it will start over on a new connection. With the same SSID there is at least some chance that a device will roam seamlessly to the strongest signal, although implementation of roaming is imperfect and spotty.

Then don't mess with it. ;)

They won't come into play in your configuration, so it doesn't matter what you have to put in them -- just do whatever it takes to make the interface happy.

Most interfaces have a setting for "security off" or "open network". That, plus not setting MAC address filtering, SSID off, etc, all of which are non-default, so they would only be on if you did it.

Cute, all too true, and thank you for taking the time to say "thanks" -- most users don't bother. Here's my own favorite on the expert vs amateur issue:

A Day in the Life of Phone Support

[Based on a true story. Names have been changed to protect the not so innocent.]

HOTLINE: Cut-rate Computers -- we cut corners to cut prices -- how may I help you?

CALLER: My computer won't work!

HOTLINE: What seems to be the problem?

CALLER: It won't work.

HOTLINE: What do you see on your screen?

CALLER: Nothing.

HOTLINE: Is the screen dark?

CALLER: No.

HOTLINE: What does it look like?

CALLER: Black.

HOTLINE: OK -- are there any lights on the front of the system unit?

CALLER: I have no idea.

HOTLINE: Why not?

CALLER: What's a system unit?

HOTLINE: That's the other big box that you got from the computer store. Are there any lights?

CALLER: No.

HOTLINE: Try pushing the power button. That's the round button right in the middle.

CALLER: Nothing.

HOTLINE: Are you sure it's plugged in?

CALLER: Of course I am -- what do you take me for?

HOTLINE: Calm down, sir. Please humor me just to be sure.

CALLER: I can't tell for sure.

CALLER: I can't tell.

HOTLINE: Look around behind the system unit -- er, the big box -- and see if there's a cord plugged into the wall.

CALLER: I still can't tell.

CALLER: It's too dark.

HOTLINE: Turn on a light.

CALLER: Can't do that.

CALLER: The power has been out for over an hour.

[long silence]

HOTLINE: Sir, I know how to fix your problem.

CALLER: You do? Terrific!

HOTLINE: Do you still have all the boxes your computer came in?

CALLER: Yes.

HOTLINE: Pack it all up and take it back to the computer store.

CALLER: What should I tell them?

HOTLINE: Tell them you're too dumb to own a computer!

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.