Need to boost my router signal. HELP

I need to boost my wireless signal from my router. My shop is about 50 ft from my home . If I leave the walkin door open to the shop I can receive wireless but when I close the doors . Which it is winter here in Iowa so I have to keep the door closed :-) The signal disappeers to the extent it will not work. Is there any type of booster/repeater I could use ? Thanks, Raz

Reply to
The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:39:20 -0600, "The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV" wrote in :

Assuming the door is just wood (not steel) and not too thick, a high-gain antenna or reflector might help. See wikis below.

Reply to
John Navas

If you have some signal, a simple reflector on the router might make things very good. You could also use a USB client adapter in the shop that has a directional antenna included, or has an antenna where you could put another reflector.

formatting link
EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock, with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in signal.
formatting link
The netstumbler trace shows solid signal as I walked back to the router, a dropout as I blocked the router, taking off the reflector, and then the lower signal without the reflector, reduced, and fluctuating in level.

Make the tabs longer than the template drawing, for easier assembly.

Reply to
dold

Had that problem with my shop in northern idaho (north of rathdrum, very rural area, no cable or dsl, 90 miles south of the canadian border)... was a steel door, turned out the walls were not corrugated fiberglass like I thought, but actually anodized/colored/corrugated steel and blocked the wireless signal, in addition, had a metal snow roof on the building so it was blocked from up top too. When I ran more power to the shop (100 amp - for my arc welder compressor etc) from the meter at the house, I was able to use powerline networking, and just had a wap/router on it so I had wired/wireless in the shop, same as in the house.. Bout $140 for the powerline networking stuff

formatting link
and a Linksys wrt54g wap/router ($49.88 at walmart
formatting link
) side Benefit was that during the spring (lots of green stuff grew), and winter (lots of snow to attentuate wireless), stuff kept working fine... Not sure of your exact location, but I would bet you are probably in the same sort of climate...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.