Hops?

Hi All

The subject has come up with a few of my customers asking: "I live 8 miles away from your closest AP and I need wireless from you as there is not any other options other than Satellite. My cousin is 5 miles further. Can you get me a wireless squirt that I can re-squirt to my cousin?"

Getting wireless to the first location should not be a problem. I am currently familiar with Proxim 4000's along with a SmartBridge XP.

The first hop could be a Proxim into directional ( cantenna ) thru the ether to another cantenna which feeds into a Netgear bridge and finally to the local router. Bandwidth is 6Meg on the backbone side of MY local router.

One hop is pretty simple. Haven't thought about extending to the second hop. What are the trip points and how many times can I do this? Ideas or comments?

thanks

tod

Reply to
OldGuy
Loading thread data ...

I was reluctant to comment since the most hops I've actually implemented is from NOC backhaul -> tower backhaul [ethernet to] tower AP -> repeater -> customer's CPE [ethernet to] customer's wireless router -> wireless client (seven radios in the chain). But I've seen others comment on hops they've done over several towers and have had excellent luck/skill in doing so. I've seen opinions on the maximum hops, but almost all that I've seen say that three to five hops isn't a problem if done correctly. Of course a simple repeater will cut the bandwidth in half, so a dual radio setup like the XO² is preferable.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.