Cisco 871 as replacement for Fortigate 60

This is my first post to this newsgroup, as I have never bought Cisco items for my own site before. Basically, I'm retired, and have a small in-house LAN, primarily Sun Ultras, running Solaris 10, with WAN connections through a couple of fixed IP's, and run a Mailman mail list. Background is hardware/software, last doing Unix kernel development, device drivers, and robotics in the 1990's.

My LAN/WAN interface is currently a Fortigate 60, which is now coming up 5 years old, and I'm looking to supplant it with something with more capability. Some fishing around on various sites has suggested that the Cisco 871 might be a good choice, although my budget can go high enough to buy a Fortigate 60B.

Am I fishing in the right pond, or should I be looking at something else in the Cisco line?

Hank

Reply to
HankVC
Loading thread data ...

Unless you're wanting to learn Cisco and that's why you want to put one in I would just go with any off the shelf consumer firewall/router from Bestbuy. I don't know if this is your Internet gateway device or something that's just acting as a router between segments in your home network.

Reply to
protoVision

Since the poster did not say what type connection he is using it is hard to say go to Best Buy. I have yet to see a T-1 router there.

Reply to
Artie Lange

What are you connecting to the internet with?

Also remember the price you see is most likely for the base model, you also have to consider the WIC cards you will need. (DSL,T1,etc..)

Reply to
Artie Lange

The site connection is a 100mb Cat 5 ethernet cable from a Motorola Canopy antenna. It feeds a block of fixed IP's interconnects to the Internet backbone to my site.

"Learning Cisco" is a moot point. What I'm looking for is a Cisco product that is the approximate equivalent of the Fortigate 60. I've been told elsewhere that an 871 is a definite step downward, and that an 1811 or an 1841 might be more "equivalent."

There isn't any "go to Best Buy" around here. I live in the middle of Wyoming, so it's a couple hundred miles round trip to Casper, and 800 to either Denver or Salt Lake. Any "consumer products" would come from Tiger Direct or Newegg.

Hank

Reply to
HankVC

100 mb Cat 5 Cable.

As best as I can tell, Cisco 871 and 1811 have the needed 100 mb ethernet WAN capability built in.

Hank

Reply to
HankVC

Meanwhile, at the comp.dcom.sys.cisco Job Justification Hearings:

100M ethernet interface doesn't mean the device can handle 100M throughput. How fast is your internet connection supposed to be?
Reply to
alexd

Not an issue here. My earlier post was only intended to say I do not need to consider T-1 or ADSL.

Reply to
HankVC

The 871 is about 5 years old. It's been supplanted by the 881.

If the router itself won't be doing anything overly taxing, you'd be fine with an 881. Alternatively, if it's more of a firewall device that you're after, consider the ASA 5505.

Cheers, Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew J Cosgriff

Hank, I would have to agree with Andrew... The ASA 5505 would be more of a comparable device.

-Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
PeterB

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.