FRUSTRATED! Connection up, down, up, etc

ok- Got a Linksys wireless router. I am having problems with both my laptop AND desktop connections. Not sure what kind of wireless card my laptop has, but, my desktop has a D-Link DWL-520 card in it. My other desktop is wired using Cat5. Internet is always up, so that's not the problem.

On both the desktop and laptop computers, I am losing internet connection whenver my computer sleeps or sits idle for a while. I go into the D-Link connection utility (on my desktop), and tell it to reconnect, which, it does after about 10 seconds. I never change anything, it just decides to disconnect if I don't use the computer for a while. Now, on my desktop, I can't get it to reconnect all of a sudden. I go into the utility, find my SSID, hit the connect button, it finds the network, signal strength is Very Good, and then says connected. But then, nothing works. IE doesn't conenct. IMs don't connect- nothing. So, even tho it's saying it's connected, it won't even connect now. This is just all of a sudden. So Im not sure if it has to do with the same problem as I mentioned earlier- when it disconnects on its own after a while, or, if this is something different.

If someone could help me out, I'd surely appreciate it! This is a home office network, and my business is suffering BIG TIME with no internet. Any ideas out there? Thanks D

Reply to
D
Loading thread data ...

laptop has,

connection

Under control panel/power options you can modify your standby settings to a longer time or never. On the individual wireless adaper settings you can have them operate in (cam mode) continuous aware or (psp mode) power save polling, psp is usually used while on battery power. What OS are you using?

I go into the D-Link

desktop, I

disconnects

internet. Any

Reply to
Airhead

Hey- thanks for the reply. This is mainly for my Desktop system running XP Home. We can tackle my laptop a little later. Right now, I got it working last night. But again this morning, I had to go back in, tell it to rescan, then, connect to my SSID as normal. If it sits for too long, it drops the connection. And the signal strength is always VERY GOOD since it's right in the next room over. So I don't know what to do to keep this from dropping the signal. I'm beginning to think I should run a freakin Cat5 through my house and keep it that way, take back my wireless card since it's been nothing but trouble to have it.

Any ideas as to why it always drops the connection like that? Since this is my desktop, there's no battery, no 'sleep' mode, etc. Any ideas? I really appreciate the help... D

Reply to
D

I had this problem once with a totally different router, I switched the router off and on, and it sorted the problem out.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

huh. I'll give it a shot! Thank you! D

Reply to
D

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.