Connection to two simultaneous wireless networks, ICS

Hello... first post. Apologies if this has been spelled out before, although I haven't yet found the answer by searching forums. Sorry for the length but I wanted to make sure its all clear.

I'll start with the current setup:

I have a desktop PC running Windows 2000 Professional, with two PCI network cards installed: A wired ethernet adaptor, and an 802.11b wireless network adaptor card. The stock antenna of the wireless card has been replaced with an external 15dbi antenna which is positioned to pick up the wireless signal from my neighbor's house (we share the connection as well as its fee). In Network and Internet Connections, this particular connection is called "Internet Connection". I'll call the neighbor's wifi network "NeighborHouse".

The situation, part 1:

Because the source of the signal is far out of range for my laptops with built-in wifi at home, I needed a way to repeat that signal in order for the laptops to connect to the internet. I did this by creating a new second network, feeding off the first, by following these steps: On the PC above, I turned on Internet Connection Sharing for "Internet Connection" in Network and Internet Connections. I proceeded to enter a static IP address of 192.168.0.1 for the ethernet adaptor ("Local Area Connection"). Next, using the browser configuration utility of a D-Link DI-524 wireless router, I changed the router's default IP address to 192.168.1.1, because its default address of 192.168.0.1 would conflict with the static IP of the ICS network connections mentioned above. After following these steps, I successfully completed the creation of a new, separate wireless network in my own home, using my neighbor's originating signal. I'll call this new wireless network "Home".

Part 2:

I have an Airport Express Base Station in a different room on the other side of my house, and it's connected to a stereo and a USB printer. If the Airport Express was configured to create its own network, I would have to disconnect my laptops from the Home network and reconnect them to the Airport network in order to stream AirTunes via iTunes, or print wirelessly through the Airport Express. The solution was to instead configure the Airport Express (via its configuration utility) to be a client of the Home network. As a result, my laptops can be connected to the internet via the Home network, meanwhile having uninterrupted access to the Airport Express print and audio functions.

Part 3:

The desktop PC running Internet Connection Sharing is also the home of the external hard drives containing my music collection. While some of those MP3s are on my laptops, and while I can always connect my laptops temporarily to those external hard drives to access and copy those files, the vast majority of the music library remains stationary on those hard drives, connected to that desktop PC.

The problem:

My desktop PC is perpetually connected to the "NeighborHouse" network. In order for my desktop PC to access the Airport Express functions (particularly to stream AirTunes from my music library to the Airport Express to the connected stereo on the other side of my house), I have to disconnect the desktop PC from NeighborHouse and reconnect the PC's Internet Connection to the Home network. Once this is accomplished, my desktop PC has access to the Airport Express functions, and that works just fine. However, as soon as I make that switch from NeighborHouse to Home, the Internet Connection Sharing setting on the PC is rendered useless, as the originating source signal is no longer connected to my PC. As a result, I rarely make the switch on my desktop PC from NeighborHouse to Home, because it then severs my internet connection.

I'm now trying to figure out how to remedy this situation. If I were to install a second wireless network adaptor in the desktop PC, is there a way that I could maintain the entire setup I described above, while simultaneously connecting the second wireless network adaptor to the Home network? In this scenario, the desktop PC would remain connected to the neighbor's internet source signal, continue to send that signal via ICS through the D-Link router's WAN port, and continue to provide the laptops access to the internet via the Home network as a result. Meanwhile, the desktop PC, via its second network adaptor and a newly created Local Area Connection, would be simultaneously connected as a client to the Home network, and thus have access to the Airport Express functions.

If anyone has any opinions on whether this would work, what I would need to do to make it work, or specific issues that I would need to consider and changes to the setup I would need to make, etc, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

- Michael

Reply to
googolplecks
Loading thread data ...

When I was first setting this thing up, I did try repeatedly to use a bridge to accomplish this same thing, some 12 months ago, consulting with tech support at Belkin, D-Link, Linksys, and Microsoft, and getting absolutely no results... I finally resorted to setting up this ICS arrangement. It looks like I just wasn't looking for the assistance in the right place.

Nonetheless, with my current setup as described above, is it possible to do what I'm asking about? If so, I can get away with resolving the problem for the cost of a $6 wireless network adaptor, vs a $50+ bridge, and I'll also know whether this is possible for other variations of this arrangement in the future. If it is not possible, I'll probably move on to try bypassing the ICS altogether, but I'd like confirm this first... Any comments are very welcome... Thanks again!

Reply to
googolplecks

Basically, you use a local network connected to the internet through your desktop. Why? You could configure a bridge to extend the Neighbor's internet connection to your home lan, wirelessly and/or wired. The desktop would be just another PC in your lan. Wouldn't that solve your problems?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Could you show me step by step how you were able to repeat the signal? I need to do the same thing with my network and I'm not sure where to start. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Toan Le

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.