iBook Airport multiple WEP keys : cannot authenticate

I'm trying to get an Apple iBook G4 with built-in Airport wireless capability to join an existing wireless network:

Linksys WAP11

-- "access point" operation mode

-- "shared key" authentication" using four WEP keys

-- the second of the WEP keys is the "Tx Key" (64 bit)

-- "infrastructure" mode

The iBook network configuration assistant recognizes and includes the SSID of the existing network in its dropdown list; I select the SSID, and then am prompted for a password. I don't know what password to enter since the network is using shared key authentication. I've tried the 2nd WEP key but that doesn't work: incorrect password error message. What should the password be?

Does Airport work with WEP encryption?

Thanks Timo

Reply to
Timo
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Timo

Yes, but not with rolling keys. Delete all but the first key on the access point.

Reply to
Neill Massello

access

existing

The more secure method is open instead of shared key authentication using wep.

Reply to
Airhead

Thanks for the suggestion. I've got to read up on wifi.

The magic bullet for getting the iBook to work with my Linksys WAP11 turned out to be this: use the first WEP key as the Airport "password" as was suggested to me in this forum ... but when entering the key into the Airport prompt, you must precede it with a dollar sign: "$" :

e.g. $CC45D29756

Uppercase may also be required for hex "digits" A to F.

I used a static IP address even though the setup wizard said at one point that DHCP was necessary. Timo

Reply to
Timo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.