Cannot make a wireless connection outside of my house

I have a a Netgear 54 Mbps WGR614 router hooked to my new Gateway Desktop and I'm using a D-Link 802.11b wireless PC card adapter in my

7-8 year old Compaq Presario 1690 laptop. I have no problem hooking up at home, but cannot hook up anywhere else; my son's house, the library or hotels with wireless. When I do a site survey in my D-Link Air Utility, It indicates that there are strong signals around, but I can't seem to connect. In the "Link Info" page , Status - it says "not connected". Would appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks.
Reply to
jj9f
Loading thread data ...

Wireless is squirrelly. It is often the case that a wireless network can be detected, but the signal is too noisy, too low strength, etc. to make a connection.

OTOH, you might disable the DLink software and use only XP's Wireless Zero Configuration utility. Many find that the XP WZC works far better than do the vendor's utilities.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Thanks Q. Unfortunately this old laptop uses Window 98!!! :-(

Reply to
Geppetto

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.