First Time Wireless User

I recently aquired my first lap-top, and with it a wireless card. I'll be using this computer primarily for school, and my campus has a wireless server. The sales rep thru Dell told me that my wireless card would recognize whenever it was near a server, and be able to jump online when it was accessable. I went to campus today, took my computer, and had no luck getting online. I looked to see if I had any available networks, and did not. Can anyone help me with finding wireless networks when I'm near a server? Thanks so much in advance, Ryanne

Reply to
Ryanne&Chase
Loading thread data ...

If you're using the Windows XP O/S, then it has Wireless Zero Configuration that allows the O/S to roam with the card and make a connection to an open wireless network. If the network is using WEP or WPA, you're not going to able to connect to a wireless network while roaming as it's not open.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

SInce you're admittedly a newbie, it wouldn't hurt to ask if you're sure your wireless adapter was turned on. Check your documentation for the procedure. Usually there's a key sequence, generally involving the "function" key and one of the numbered F-keys along the top row of the keyboard, that you have to throw to toggle the card on and off. Also, some computers have an actual physical switch somewhere for the wireless card. Again, your owner's manual will tell you for sure. By the way, I'm assuming here that your machine has a built-in wireless card; if it doesn't you simply need to insert the external card into your PC Card slot.

Now that we're sure we have the adapter up and running, let's check to see if we're within range of an open access point. Were you in an area where you *know* there should have been a signal? If you're not familiar with your school's network, check with their IT department or try looking on their website for infomation on the wireless network there. Pay particular attention to where the signal is supposed to be available, as well as any authentication or registration requirements they may have, and the network name or SSID (service set identifier) that you should look for when trying to connect. Sometimes it's more than a matter of being able to simply "jump online"-especially if we're talking about an educational institution. Access to their networks is almost always restricted to students, staff and faculty members, and they take various measures to enforce this.

Also, today's a holiday. Maybe they had the access points turned off for the weekend.

Reply to
Jonathan L. Parker

Go somewhere where you know their is a public hotspot (Starbucks), and make it work there. (Starbucks hot spots are not free, but the WI-FI is wide open until you get to their logon screen; At that point you know that the WI-FI is working). After that works, you should be able to go to your campus and "View Available Networks". If no networks are visible, there aren't any or they have the SSID broadcast turned off. If you don't get a signal on campus try someplace else. In most residential neighborhoods you'll see quite a few WI-FI connections, of which usually 1/4 are open, either intentionally or because the owner didn't bother to read the manual.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

I received a new laptop for Christmas/birthday, a Toshiba m45-s169. It has wireless installed on it, also has a switch to turn off or on. The other day I tried to "see" if their were any "hotspots" in my neighborhood, nothing, but today (earlier) when I was upstairs I had unplugged the Ethernet cord on the cable modem.....a window came up & found 2 "hotspots" one secure, one not. I was able to pull up Yahoo's home page, but when I went downstairs to show my hubby ( I was so happy) it showed no "hotspots". I know nothing about Wi Fi, but now am very interested now that I have a laptop that is Wi Fi capable.

Reply to
Tammy Fontenot

Lesson number one: Stay off networks you haven't been invited onto, or whose operators you don't know or trust. Not only might this save you a rather unpleasant visit from someone flashing a badge, but it could keep your identity from being stolen, among other things. Remember that whoever administers any network you connect to can, if he or she wants to, generally see all the traffic you generate, including passwords and the like, unless you're employing special methods to prevent this. If you don't know whose network you were using, what would you say to the aforementioned badge-flasher when he asks whom you suspect used your credit card number on that p*rn site in Moldova?

And in response to all the other posters who will undoubtedly weigh in with the opinion that I'm all wet (or worse), let me say in advance: Yes, your chances of getting caught or suffering other untoward consequences are rather slim, but why risk it at all? There's no good reason to these days, with so many legitimate free hotspots out there run by entities unlikely to have any sinister designs on you, such as reputable businesses and government agencies like public libraries.

If you want to play around with Wi-Fi, that's fine. Just make sure you're doing so legally and safely. A good place to start is

formatting link
to find free access near you that's on the up and up-and that you can access that way.

Reply to
Jonathan L. Parker

At least a couple of campuses I know require registration to use their wireless network, so you'd really be best off to talk to the network people on-campus.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Is it a specially good site? Got the URL handy? :)

Reply to
David Taylor

When you came downstairs you probably lost the signal due to increased interference from structures, trees, etc. Upstairs you had a much cleaner line of site connection.

Now having explained that I also agree that it could easily compromise your security by logging onto an unknown network. Depending on your security, if you can see their computer..they can see yours. Not to mention that you are illegally using another persons ISP for which they pay a monthly fee and you are taking for free. Hotspots which are publically available are a whole different ballgame from using another persons private (albeit unsecured which is idiotic) wireless connection. Being a new wireless user, you are hardly to blame for that lack of knowledge though and I would not feel guilty unless you maintain the practice.

Regards, John O.

Reply to
John Ochenduszko

Sure, you don't. Neither do I. otoh, I realized yesterday that Hotmail happily offers you an unsecure login as its default - I'd love to see a comparison of the number of people who log in via http and https. Many, many, people won't use SSL, or even realize what it means.

It looks to me as if he doesn't think many ID thefts are happening at all...

Reply to
Derek Broughton

You know I've never been asked for my credit card number by a site that wasn't using secure socket layer (https) that I would even remotely consider giving the number to. I'm curious could you tell me how you would as network admin get my number out of a secure link? Same applies to my online banking, always https before requesting my pasaword.

I'm not arguing with your suggestion one be extremely cautious when leeching Internet (bad idea), but I am wondering about all these ID thefts you think are happening in public hotspots etc.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Live little kids and animals, but if we gave you the url the site might get shut down. But as a hint, it isn't in Moldova, it in the Duchy of Grand Fenwick.

Reply to
Rico

Good for you, friend. Safe bet your parents didn't raise any dumb kids.

I've heard it can be done if the client computer isn't properly secured against intrusion-and remember that the sysadmin will have a leg up on breaking into the machine with knowledge of its IP address-but this may be the verbal equivalent of vaporware from hotspot operators seeking to protect themselves from liability for the misfortunes of patrons not as careful as you or me ("Lock icon? *What* lock icon?").

Personally, I don't have any qualms about using SSL-encrypted pages over an open wireless link, as long as my firewall's running and I know and trust the owner of the network the AP's connected to.

I think the only way to be extremely cautious is *not* to leech Internet, especially if one is a newbie like the originator of this subthread, and therefore probably not taking all the steps needed to secure his or her machine (e. g., turn off file sharing, etc.). As far as the threat of ID thefts at public hotspots are concerned, well, there are all those dumb kids that other parents besides yours raised, along with the "evil twin" phenomenon-rogue access points set up to replicate the MAC address and SSID of legitimate ones, and then clandestinely positioned or sometimes illegally amplified so that their radiated power will swamp out that of the real McCoy. You and I probably wouldn't fall victim to one of these even if we logged onto it, but then again, we'd also be unlikely to fall for the Nigerian 419 scam either. Obviously a lot of other people would, because it's still going strong.

Reply to
Jonathan L. Parker

Thanks, i'll go Google :)

Reply to
David Taylor

Apart from a MITM attack on the certificate distribution, there's more chance of someone having a weakly protected share with files containing useful information. People keep passwords, numbers and so on in text files, makes life easy for the ID thief. :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

And you and your freinds are welcome to steal my hotmail account if I ever get one again.

Oh I agree, and I am not suggesting anyone not exercise real caution when online whether wired at home/work or in some public hotspot having coffee. And as to a honey pot (seemingly wide open network) clearly one should be wary.

From what I've read I get the impression most ID thefts involve some form of paper compromise, that is dumpster diving or even running off extra copies of your credit card while the waiter has it in a resturant. But note if some one has good statistics (which I am not claiming here) I'd love to see them.

Reply to
Rico

Wait a minute are you saying those emails from Nigeria are a scam and I won't be getting my share of $100 Billion??!!?? But, I already sent them the money, my ATM card and PIN.

Reply to
Rico

Sheesh! I've been playing too small scale. I've only refused to participate in these deals unless I've been promised at least $10 million.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) hath wroth:

formatting link
(a bit old from 2003)
formatting link
(somewhat more recent)

The big problem is the social security number. It's used to identify a substantial number of financial transactions (including some like cell phones where the vendor has no real right to demand the SSI number). Once compromised, trying to change ones SSI number is almost impossible. You can easily change the name, but not the number.

The only real identity thefts that I know about were from stolen wallets or purses. Also, idiots that use the same single password for everything. That resulted in a few eBay and Paypal frauds that I know about, but not really any full blown identity thefts where bank accounts and credit cards are issued to the false identity. If you're in the habit of getting mugged, then start taking preventive measures. If you're surfing the web via wireless, just be careful and don't worry too much about ID theft. Incidentally, I ran everything I have in my wallet through a copier so I have all the names and numbers. I lost my wallet once and it was hell trying to get everything re-issued without the original information.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It's similar in Canada - our SIN can only be requested by a person/corporation that must send tax slips on your behalf (generally employers). The following is a discussion with a leasing company:

CO: Mr. Broughton, you didn't include your SIN. ME: No, I didn't - didn't you see where I wrote in "ILLEGAL"? CO: We need you to fill that in. ME: No, you don't. Don't you realize that you're not legally allowed to ask me that question. CO: Well, it really makes everything much easier if you use it.

!!! I never did give it to them, but too many people would just give up.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.