Wireless Problem

It said?? who said? I doubt that a notebook that was made in the US or Japan will not work with a wireless network in the UK...after all, most of the components are made in china anyway!

it must be some kind of setting that you are missing.... maybe the channel or something, but that should be detected automaticall.... if you provide more info about what happens when you try to connect, you might get better suggestions

good luck hilz

Reply to
hilz
Loading thread data ...

Hiya

Well my problem is with my notebook from Dell. Ive just moved to the UK from the US and my wireless card seems to be useless. I changed the advanced settings but I cannot change the location period. It said that if the notebook was made in the US or Japan then that is the setting the wireless card will stick too. So now I cannot get wireless in the UK but whenever I go back to the US I will get it. Any idea how to make my notebook be configured for both or maybe just a few suggestions would help.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Az

Hey, I've got a notebook from Dell, I wonder why it works?

Maybe you could tell us what OS and, most importantly, what wireless adaptor it's using. Off the top of my head, I know of at _least_ 3 (Intel ipw2100 and ipw2200 and some kind of Broadcom chip) that they're using. Most of the laptops seem to have a choice of two, right now.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

What card do ya have?

My understanding is that channels 1 through 11 are the same (frequencies, center freqs, ect) for US and England. If the AP there is on one of those channels, it should work with a US card. (?)

The US goes to 11, but England goes to 13. (2 wider? Spinal Tap joke.) The French only have channels 10 to 13, as they surrendered channels 1 to 9.

Cheers Eric

Reply to
Eric

Not just England. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all go to 13 too.

Apart from the humour there, I think you'll find it's because they have the other frequencies in use for military radar.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I wish it did automatically but nothing seems to work when it comes to wireless signals here in the UK. The notebook that I have as it was ordered in the US on a support website it told me to change my location settings but if the card was specific or the notebook was oredered from the US or Japan that you cnnot change this location setting, hence my problem.

1470 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g, 54Mbps) is the wireless card installed on my notbook

Reply to
Az

I don't get it, if you bought it in the US, it will allow channels 1 to

1. The UK allows channels 1 to 13 but rarely are 12 and 13 chosen because it excludes equipment.

If your laptop lets you use 1 to 11, chances are you'll have no problem and I wouldn't bother fiddling trying to change to the UK location. I have plenty of US sources stuff and just don't have a problem.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

So I wonder why it cannot locate a ireless signal here then?

But when I maximized its limits to searching for a wireless network it came up with a ad - hoc network located in the US

Strange it doesnt wor here though darn it too!

Reply to
Az

Noooo... It couldn't possibly have found an ad-hoc network in the US if you're in the UK. WiFi just ain't that good!

Reply to
Derek Broughton

I think you're confusing things. Sounds like all you're seeing is a network that it had seen when in the US and is therefore in the list of networks to probe for.

May I ask a basic question? Have you got an access point at home or in the office that you've tried to connect it to or are you just expecting to find a wireless network wherever you are?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.