Explain this one

At the first time, it had only been about an hour or so, the second time around 10. I have turned it off since then,

And from what I have heard about Comcast, the improbable part doesnt apply.

So I adhere to the Warren Zevon principle.. They say Jesus will find you wherever you go

But when He'll coming looking for you, they don't know

In the meantime, keep your profile low.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman
Loading thread data ...

That's what was really strange, mail/news/ftp/irc servers all worked (albeit very slowly, when the main server was very slow or didn't work), cept for a few minutes when the cable signal itself was so bad the screen was pixelating, was just the browser/http stuff that was wierd. Most of the time it only slowed down from 2500 to 300, happened to get a 24 at one time before it died altogether, and at those speeds it still sort of worked but very slowly, was only once in a while when it got even slower/stopped/just an error message. Makes me wonder if there is a minimum speed requirement for different types of servers. At any rate, from the OP's post and what was happening here, seemed sort of similar.

PS The guy was here today, and when he went up the pole and disconnected the cable, water came out. He cut a few feet off, put new ends on, reconnected it and now it is working (jury is still out on whether it's just working, or gonna be working/fine, next time it rains)...

Reply to
Peter Pan

"Peter Pan" hath wroth:

Well, the only things I could think of that would cause protocol specific slowdowns is if Comcast was trying to filter port 80 traffic, or that users were somehow overusing port 80. Both are probably the case as Comcast is tinkering with Bitorrent traffic and apps that try to avoid filters are using port 80.

It's possible. Another guess(tm) would be that a protocol filtering router (used to throttle Bitorrent traffic) fails at some specific traffic threshold. Think of it as collateral damage.

Lovely. Hopefully that will fix it. You can watch the signal levels on your cable modem (as I described in a previous rant). If you have a spectrum analyzer, you can also watch it change frequency response, ingress, reverse leakage from your junk TV's, etc.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.