Comcast Triple Play and Router?

My brother is going to get the Comcast triple play, phone internet and TV. My questions is, does he have to use THEIR cable modem, or can I get him one of those Linksys cable modem/router combos? Can I use a router if there is going to be a special Comcast cable modem?

Reply to
Edward
Loading thread data ...

You need a modem that supports VOIP and I would keep the modem separate from the router (you'll thank me later).

So get an Comcast approved VOIP modem (or rent theirs [unless it's free]) and buy a spearate wireless G router with integrated 4-port switch to handle your PCs.

The TVs are handled by splitting the BB cable (usually at home entry point) and the modem will be on the first leg of the splitter and handle your other needs.

Reply to
$Bill

Router technology is about ot go to 'N', we are currently at 'G'. 'N' reaches out and can touch your neighbors or backyard easily and is also faster. It is currently called "pre N" because the standard has not been written and accepted by all the companies involved yet. When it does come out, your modem/router combo will be outdated and you will be stuck buying a new setup. Buy them seperate!

Reply to
f/fgeorge

I'm not entirely certain how their digital phone service works, but I believe it uses a separate connection that is then tied into your home's phone lines. It is not traditional VOIP like Vonage, but something unique that is specifcially designed for cable. Your TV and Internet, along with the phone adapter, just split the incoming cable. In other words, the Internet is only for your computers and you can treat it as normal.

The main potential issue could be a weak cable signal due to the 3-way split you may end up with.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I think they use an adapter to the existing cable modem, so I'm probably wrong about needing a VOIP modem. They do use VOIP over a private network I believe, but the adapter allows them to connect up to a regular cable modem. I think they have plans for a combined modem/adapter.

I'd try to go with a standard Motorola mode and Linksys/Netgear G router until N is solid. Then you should only have to connect their adapter to the modem to add phone service - TTBOMK.

Reply to
$Bill

Digital phone uses a modem with an integrated voice port. The only ones I've seen Comcast use are from Arris:

formatting link
However, there are also units from Motorola and Scientific Atlanta that should work about the same, so they may be used as well.

I don't know if they are available retail or not. I doubt it, but who knows. The big difference with these is that there is an 8 hour battery backup for the voice circuits. It looks proprietary, so I'm guessing it will cost big bucks to replace in a few years.

Reply to
Eric

Andrew Rossmann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsgroups.comcast.net:

I do know that TW uses VOIP modems. There are two phone plugs to support two phone numbers. However, at this time, TW Digitalphone only allows one phone number. The modem has two IP, one for the internet and one for the phone. My router is after the modem(of course) and using the phone has no effect on RoadRunner's speed. I would think that Comcast's setup would be similar.

The $3 that I could have saved in buying a VOIP cable modem would have been completely blown away when the phone started dropping the outbound voice signal after about 10 months or so. Internet service was unaffected, and the problem was the cable modem. If it was my modem, I would have had to buy another and also pay for a service call first to verify that. I'm renting as long as the option exists.

Reply to
John Gray

It's safer/cheaper if it's only $3. You both make out since they buy reconditioned modems for next to nothing and you don't have to worry about the hassles of trying to prove it's not your modem.

Reply to
$Bill

"$Bill" wrote in news:468850b4$0$20544$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

I've had four modems from RoadRunner. The first was brand new and had all the documentation in the shrink-wrapped retail box when they brought it out. The second one was a used Toshiba which the tech visiting next door was needed when I asked if RR was raising their cap on our bandwidth. He took it out of his truck and made the call-in for me right then even though it wasn't scheduled.

The last two were brand new in-the-box Motorola SBV5220 Surfboard VOIP cable modems. I'm not saying that they don't recycle modems, but I've had

3 out of 4 new modems. This Motorola modem by far has the best features of the lot, although I had no problems with the USR Sharkfin(ugly that it was) or the Toshiba(I did miss it not having a web interface.

At the sheer volumes that the cable companies buy modems, they have to be getting a huge discount regardless of new or rebuilt.

Reply to
John Gray

Could be because they're VOIP. There are a lot more reconditioned standard modems than VOIP out there. When we had Adelphia, I went in to swap out mine and they were all reconditioned RCA and Terayons - I took the Terayon since my previous one was also Terayon and I knew they had a decent status page and such and some of those RCAs had the loose power connection problem and not great reviews. They probably get the cost back in 3 months of rental tops.

Reply to
$Bill

"$Bill" wrote in news:46886b74$0$14986$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

VOIP was likely the cause, I can see that. On the first USR Sharkfin, it was probably new due to the fact that TimeWarner had taken over the local cable company about two years earlier and had to update the entire cable system in order to offer first digital tv and then RR. I hooked up to RR within a month of it becoming available here. On the web interface of the Sharkfin, it was quite easy to see the cap set on the modem for both upstream and downstream. If I were technical enough, perhaps there is a way to interpret the connection information on the current Motorola modem's local web page.

The tests the tech ran when she was here to change out the first VOIP modem indicated that the cap was 5Mb up/ 512Kb down. We weren't on 7Mb yet although some RR locales have. This was in February, IIRC.

Reply to
John Gray

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.