DLink DWL-G122 Failure then unable to reinstall

I hope somone can help me with a wireless problem I am having.

I bought a DLink DWL-G122 H/W Ver:C1 a couple of weeks ago and installed it from the supplied CD. After a bit of fiddling about, it worked fine, and I was very happy with it.

My machine is a Sony Vaio PC running XP SP1.

However last night, I rebooted the machine, and the device was not detected, "unrecognized USB device". The configuration utility for the device would simply not run. No idea what has caused this.

As I thought there must be an installation problem, I uninstalled the software using the DLink Uninstall command, rebooted the PC and tried to reinstalled from the CD. The installation appeared to be successful, except:

a) The device manager showed no wireless network adapter b) when I plugged in the dongle and rebooted again, the usb device was still unrecognised.

It seems that the drivers have not been installed properly, but I really don't know what to do next. I checked the registry that the uninstalled worked OK, and the install creates a directory of driver files in its own DLINK hierarchy. It seems that these are not being copied to the right place or something.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks

dave

Reply to
tbzbbt
Loading thread data ...

It's because the USB adapter was left in the socket. Take it out and plug it in again *after* the computer has booted.

Try doing like I wrote above. Uninstall and only plug in the adapter after the computer has booted.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

That happened to me with a second hand one, it would not be recognised on any computer. Had to go through Ebay long winded procedure to get most of my money back. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Hi, If you want to reinstall leave the card out until it is called for and erase all the trace of this card from registry. I never had good luck with D-link anything. I never buy D-link anthing.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.