linksys WRT54G+ Terayon cable modem connection problems

i have a linksys WRT54G that is connected to a Terayon cable modem my main computer is connected via ethernet cable to the router.

there was no problems with the internet connection 'till i started using the linksys router.

everything works fine, but the connection is disconnected for about

5-10 secs. once or twice an hour!!

what should i do about this?? (for now, i am not using the router)

thanks.

Reply to
friedman30
Loading thread data ...

Go to the Main WAN setup page on the WRT54G and change the "timeout" at the bottom of the page from the default of 5 minutes to zero minutes.

Also, disconnect the USB cable between the Tarayon cable modem and the computah as it's only needed for configuration and just gets in the way.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

the USB cable is going from the Terayon modem to the linksys router and from the router to the computer.

there is no direct link between the Terayon modem and the computer.

Reply to
friedman30

The WRT54G does not have a USB connector.

The Terayon modem has *TWO* connectors. One is USB which *MAY* be used for connectivity witht the computer, but is usually just used to setting up the Terayon modem. The other is ethernet which is what you should be using with the router. Not all Terayon cable modems are identical, but most have both connections. Kindly disclose the model number and I'll check.

You should have a CAT5 ethernet cable going between the Terayon cable modem and the WAN port of the WRT54G. There should also be a CAT5 ethernet cable going between one of the LAN ports on the WRT54G and the computer. Leave the USB cable from the Terayon modem disconnected.

Your unspecified cable ISP probably has setup guides for installling hardware. The problem is probably that the ISP requires that the MAC address of your computer appear on their CMTS for authentication. On the WRT54G setup page, the third item on the horizontal scrolling menu, says "MAC Address Clone". Do it. Save. Then, turn OFF the power on both the Terayon modem and WRT54G to rest the bridging table. With luck, it might work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

the Terayon model is : TJ715X

It has only one ethernet connection, and all the connections look fine. I have tried upgrading the firmware to the european one. (my internet provider told me to do so).

Jeff, i did not follow your advice, since i am not sure what it is supposed to do... can you please try and make it more clear?

Reply to
friedman30

The TJ700x series has both USB and ethernet connections. The USB is mostly used for setup and firmware. The ethernet connection goes to your WRT54G or computer. Leave the USB cable disconnected.

1. Does it stay up when TJ715X is directly connected to the computah?
  2. Who is your internet provider? I'm trying to determine if you need to clone the MAC address or perform some authentication ritual. Probably not.
  1. Is this: "everything works fine, but the connection is disconnected for about 5-10 secs. once or twice an hour!!" still a problem when the WRT54G is put back in the system?
  2. When you are testing, are you using wireless or wired? You should do all your initial setup and testing of the router with a wired connection, not wireless. Verify that it works and stays up with the WRT54G installed and connected with an ethernet connection.
  3. Once you have that wired working, unplug the ethernet cable to the computer and try wireless. If it continues to disconnect erratically, it might be RF interference from other wireless networks, cordless phones or microwave ovens. Try a different channel 1, 6, or 11. Try moving the WRT54G away from the windows so that it doesn't pickup as much crud from outside.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It seems that there is a solution to the problem. I talked to my internet provider ("Netvision") and they told me that there is a european firmware to the router.

i have found that firmware at the German Linksys site, and upgraded (or better said - downgraded) to it.

for now, everything works fine.

thanks;

Dror Friedamn

Reply to
friedman30

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.