Connecting HP iPAQ 4700 to a wireless phone

I just found that I can use my Verizon cellular phone to connect a PC or laptop to the Web using my "talking" talking time. The cable that connects a cellular phone to the USB port + drivers cost $15. I want to use this connection to connect to HP iPAQ 4700. Has anyone done it?

Thanks,

Zalek

Reply to
zalek
Loading thread data ...

Unfortunately, you can't use USB phone cables with a Pocket PC PDA - strictly serial cables (which are way different from USB ones) will work.

Does your phone have Bluetooth (or, at least, IrDA) built-in?

Reply to
Werner Ruotsalainen [MS MVP -

Yes, but it's so maddeningly slow, it's hardly worth it for anything other than text only email.

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

Reply to
Peter Ross
  1. Serial vs USB: It won't work (if you meant the one at, for example,
    formatting link
    ). Those USB - to - serial port converters, to my knowledge, are only supported under desktop Windows and Mac operating systems, not under Pocket PC's. (I may be wrong though.)

1. the maximal throughput rate of serial interfaces is, per standard, 112 kbps, which is much more than the above-mentioned, standard 9600/14400 bps (GSM, not HSCSD, dial-up) speed. That is, using a 12 Mbps USB interface won't help at all.

The serial interface's throughput limitation would only be an issue if you used either EDGE or UMTS (3G) because they're, in general, faster than 112 kbps. Even, say, 4/2 (Class 10) GPRS is slower.

Reply to
Werner Ruotsalainen [MS MVP -

No, but I would consider to buy one if it will connect me to the Web. I borrowed a phone with the Bluetooth and played a little with my PDA, but didn't succed to access the internet. PDA found the Bluetooth, but I didn't find a way to access the Web. Do you have any links/FAQS how to do it?

Thanks,

Zalek

Reply to
zalek

How did you connect PDA to a phone?

Thanks,

Zalek

Reply to
zalek

Zalek, I was able to connect long ago to the internet using my phone for my laptop and my IPAQ BUT, I had data access on my phone. As for using your phone as a dialup connection, I wouldn't know, but you might want to consider checking out the following links:

formatting link
hth

Reply to
Who Turned Off The Lights?

Depends on your type/model of phone... I have a Motorola E815 and an iPAQ

4155 and just use bluetooth (did a seem edit on the phone to allow full OBEX functionality).

Not all phones have Bluetooth/allow OBEX.. What model phone and carrier?

Reply to
Peter Pan

For what it's worth, I do it with my iPAQ 4155, and my motorola e815 on verizon, but I have a full wireless network (Linksys wrt45g 48.55 at walmart), and then use the wifi connection to access things on the network.

Reply to
Peter Pan

As do I. It works great at home using my Verizon DSL and my Linksys Wireless Router. I had the data access on my Cingular Phone for when I travelled. Although it was always terribly slow. I dumped it for the Winter since I don't travel much now.

'but it certainly comes in handy when you need to access the internet from a hotel or anywhere else and you're reluctant to do a dialup connect from a phone line on your laptop or can't find a WiFi connection. Of course it entails using a bluetooth adapter for the laptop since very few if any come with bluetooth.

Reply to
Who Turned Off The Lights?

Serial interfaces can actually go much faster than 115,200 bps (which is what I assume you meant), depending on the hardware implementation -- I've got ports that can go as high as 921,600 bps.

Even when the throughput is slower, a lower serial port speed can still hurt performance by increasing latency. In general, it's advisable to use the fastest possible serial port speed that doesn't result in overrun.

Reply to
John Navas

Sure, but a USB-Serial interface _still_ won't help anything, because you're still restricted to whatever speed the serial port can do. Even 921,600 is much slower than USB 1.0

Reply to
Derek Broughton

I just found that Verizon ask for $60/month to enable the Internet access using Bluetooth access from Motorola E815 phone. They explained me that some old phone are using slow 14k/sec connection - and for this speed I am paying just "talking time", but Motorola E815 is using fast

400k/sec connection for I need to pay $60/month to access the internet. So I will stay with wi-fi connection.

Zalek

Reply to
zalek

Just FYI, if you get the motorola charging USB cable, you can just install the modem in DUN and work at higher speed (1xrtt for sure, all that's here), and use it as a MOU/Modem.... BT isn't enabled, but you don't have to mess with seem editing. As to your other q, I have a WiFi network here and can use the cell as a DUN modem, and connect to the WiFi with my iPAQ. Sort of roundabout, but it works real well, and I can use the cellphone as a modem to any networked PC or handheld. (Handy during free time, after 9 and weekends)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.