Connecting but no internet!

...and with my problem the command line utilities don't work either.

Which binary should I be looking at? Those two which were mentioned which are on NT are not found in XP.

Thanks

Reply to
danr_18
Loading thread data ...

I gave you a list of things to try which includes manually setting the DNS servers in your Windoze machine to point to the ISP's DNS servers. I followed up with your question as to where to set the DNS servers. Have you done this?

Which command line utilities do or don't work?

From my XP Home SP2 machine:

Directory of c:\\WINDOWS\\system32

08/04/2004 12:56 AM 148,480 dnsapi.dll 08/04/2004 12:56 AM 45,568 dnsrslvr.dll

dnsrslvr.dll is the most likely culprit.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well, nslookup works -- but ping and tracert don't.

Ah - same files as NT, but different directory. XP Pro has them in the same directory.

Are you sure that dnsrslver isn't the DNS cache client (which if you turn off will still have the machine do the resolving upstream, without first checking the cache)?

Reply to
danr_18

Since we seem to be tracking this on this thread -- I posted this on another thread... Again, the problem is not on my computer, and I haven't gone to the relative's house since posting the question, so I haven't tried anything yet.

I found this posting from August 2004, which looks interesting as well:

=== "From: Veronica - view profile Date: Tues, Aug 24 2004 5:52 pm Email: Veronica Groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

Hi all Through a lot of persistance, I have solved this. What happens is that windoze looses it's DNS info. I suspect in my case

it was a update or adware removal, but who knows. With regedit, you will have to manually add a few things. No end of reinstalls, running of winsockfix etc will do this for you. In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Tcpip/Parameters You must have Domain REG_SZ Hostname REG_SZ NameServer REG_SZ NV Domain REG_SZ NV Hostname REG_SZ SearchList REG_SZ You should also have akey named DNSRegisteredAdapters which was completely missing on mine. Under this is a class ID of the curerntly active interface Then the entries are DNSServerAddressCount REG_DWORD DNSServerAddresses REG_BINARY

DomainName REG_SZ HostName REG_SZ PrimaryDomainName REG_SZ

I hope this helps anyone that struggle with this. It has taken me about

10 hours to solve this problem. "

On my working XP machine, I have the DNSRegisteredAdapters key, but nothing below it. Maybe the DNS settings listed above are only if specifying a static DNS IP.

Reply to
danr_18

Hi all,

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com's issue seems to be different from mine (i can ping etc and hence is not a problem with my network connection). Is there any chance snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com's issue can be discussed in another thread?

Thank you

Reply to
Someone

You said nslookup works, this confused me since thats one of the commandline utils.

When you do ipconfig /all what does it show?

What does tracert say to microsoft or google? Or your ISP?

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Yep, nslookup works, but ping or tracert say that it can't find the server if I use the machine/domain names. If I put in the IP address which I looked up in nslookup, it works fine.

It also works fine in IE if I use the IP address. ping and tracert both have the original dates and only have one instance (not one .exe and one .com like some spyware does).

ipconfig /all show the DNS of the ISP (I've tried using the router or one of the 'global' DNS servers - with the same results).

Mark Mc> > >...and with my problem the command line utilities don't work either. >

Reply to
danr_18

I agree.

At first, I posted, since I was trying to see if we had the same issue. I then moved to a new thread - but people kept on posting here. I thought that this meant that you figured out that your issue was the same as mine.... I guess not.

I'm sorry if I hijacked your thread - that was not the > Hi all,

Reply to
danr_18
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Note the NAME2 option in Windows nslookup:

Other nslookup commandline variants are available; e.g., the one included with the BIND for Windows distribution (along with dig, host, etc.), which I use and recommend.

Not necessarily -- GUI variants (e.g., Sam Spade) also have the ability to explicitly set the nameserver.

Reply to
John Navas

More precisely, defaults to the DNS servers configured in the TCP/IP stack, either manually or automatically.

It may if the browser configuration is the problem.

Reply to
John Navas

Even with an explicit nameserver?

Reply to
John Navas

Exactly how?

Reply to
John Navas

That doesn't make sense -- they all use the same resolver. Please cut and paste here the exact output of each.

What happens when you configure DNS manually in your TCP/IP settings?

Reply to
John Navas

It's someone elses computer. If I do nslookup, it resolves the name. If I do a ping or tracert it gives me an error (I don't remember the exact text). If I ping, tracert or use IE with an IP address, they all work fine.

Same exact thing.

Reply to
danr_18

What exact thing? It's very hard to help without more information.

Reply to
John Navas

Clearly, they don't....

As John said, please determine the *exact* error.

Could be the DNS cache, though a reboot is supposed to clear it anyway. Did you try "net stop DNS Client" followed by net start DNS client ? Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Just to tell you what happened:

Replacing the DNS dlls didn't help. Disabling XP's DNS caching client resolved (worked around) the problem. I'm not sure what is broken with the DNS client, but since it is of little use anyhow, I just turned it off and left it as disabled. Everything works fine now.

Reply to
danr_18

You may find that if you restart it, it now works. No idea why... Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

The caching client may have gotten screwed up on date and time. It's important to keep the PC clock accurate. I use and recommend the free SymmTime .

Reply to
John Navas

Nope

Reply to
danr_18

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.