Connecting but no internet!

I'll look up my WAN IP when i get home tonight. The wierd thing is that all of my flatmates can access the internet. When i use the Netgear wireless USB on my laptop that works too, i get the internet. But it doesnt work on my desktop! im thinking its a problem with my desktop.

do you still need wan ip address and dhcp range?

Reply to
Someone
Loading thread data ...

Hi People, im still having a problem with this. the wierd thing is that i can connect to the internet use a wired connection but not wireless. Please help

Reply to
Someone

Details. Based on what we know so far, I would say you are holding your mouth open correstly when you power everything up. But I suspect I'm wrong, details would prove it.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

"I would say you are holding your mouth open correstly when you power everything up"??

My First Post: "The scenario is this, im renting with 3 other friends. We have a belkin wireless G router with a connection that is not encrypeted or anything.

All of our computers (inc my laptop with netgear pcmcia card) can connect to it perfectly. I recently bought a desktop and tried using this adapter: NETGEAR WG111

54MBPS WIRELESS USB 2.0 ADAPTER I have a strong signal and can ping the router and all but one of the other computers. (The only computer i cannot connect to is my friends desktop who is wired directly to the router). So far so good. Only problem is that i cant access the internet for some reason! the wierd thing is that i installed the same adapter on my latop and successfully got internet connection! Iv made sure mac filters is off. Iv tried disabling all firewall - windows and norton internet security but still dont work."

The adpater works on my laptop but not on my desktop! I can connect to my router (hence all the ip configuration is correct!) but not getting internet access.

Reply to
Someone

Are all connected PCs using Windows XP? Also, uninstall Norton Internet Security (if you have the capability to reinstall). For the majority of my customers who have a difficult time accessing the web, after I uninstall NIS, they are able to access the web. Hopefully, this will solve your dilemma.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Belkin over the years has made more then one AP? Could you be a bit more specific.

How is desktop set up regarding the Gateway address? Is it even remotely possible there is a second device on the network with the same IP as the belkin?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Yes all of the operating systems are XP.

I've tried uninstalling Norton Internet Security but im still having the problem.

What else can i try? Why would it work for wired connection and not wireless? The adapter is ok because i can ping the router. It must be something to do with http!

What can i do?

Reply to
Someone

If you've already done these, I apologize. I'm not in the mood to read all of the posts connected to this thread. (just one of those days) Anyway, make sure that MAC filtering isn't enabled. If it is, add the MAC address of the desktop PC that is having trouble accessing the internet. Also, check your router's web interface (DHCP section) and see how many users you have set to receive an ip address. Make sure the affected desktop pc has the correct gateway address listed. Go to CONTROL PANEL, NETWORK CONNECTIONS, then double click on LOCAL AREA CONNECTION. Now go to the SUPPORT tab. Look at the gateway address and see if it is correct. It should be match that of the ip needed to access the router's web interface.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

"Someone" hath wroth:

1. Can you access the web based setup inside the Belkin? If you can, then your browser and computer are just fine. If not, check if you have a proxy server configured in your browser.
  2. If you can access the web based setup inside the Belkin, but can't browse the internet, then the IP filter settings inside the Belkin have you listed as being blocked.

Please do these tests with the ethernet CAT5 cable disconnected.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your post. Iv already checked that MAC filtering is disabled. The gateway is also correct. Im also cross checking all the settings with my laptop which is getting wireless properly.

Reply to
Someone

Hi Jeff,

thanks for your post. Im using a netgear usb wireless adptor that doesnt have a web based setup.

Reply to
Someone

Hi All,

Ive come to realise that the internet IS working but extremely slowly! The reason why i say this is becaus miraculously i get some pages but after a very long time. Most of the time it just times out. Also i know that i am connecting to something because my bitcomet torrent downloader connects and downloads at an extremely slow rate compared to my laptop which is situated nearby.

My signal streangth is strong and as mentioned my laptop which is also on my desk next to my desktop has a fast connection.

Im guessing that there is still something slowing it down somewhere, possibly a setting somewhere but dont know where to start looking! Please help

Reply to
Someone

"Someone" hath wroth:

Your Belkin router or access point has a web based setup. Can you see it with your Netgear USB wireless adapter?

You'll find answers a bit more useful if you spend the time it takes to disclose your equipment list and what operating system you're using.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You stated in one of your recent postings that you are able to access the internet, but at a very slow rate, even though you have a strong signal. This is a long shot, but, hey, it may take care of the problem...are you using both wireless b and wireless g devices on your network? Also, is your wireless router/AP set to "mixed mode"? If all of your devices support wireless G, set them to wireless G mode only. In my opinion, few home based products, with the exception of Linksys, have favorable mixed mode performances. You also mentioned Bit Torrent. If it is downloading large files in the background, it could be using a great deal of your bandwidth. Try getting on the internet without having Bit Torrent running. Lastly, scan your system for adware, spyware, browser hijackers, viruses and trojans. Having a computer controlled by outside influences can also have the type of effect you're experiencing. Just a thought. Anyway, take care and keep us updated.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Thanks for your quick reply Doug,

I will check my adpater/router and set them both to G tonight and let you know how it goes.

Bittorrent i only opened to see if it actually connects or not. I keep my computer free from spyware, adware etc. I know theres not much activity going on because when you open the wireless connection screen i can see that there is very few packets being sent and received.

Reply to
Someone

Ok lets see:

1) In Control Panel > Network Connections Right click on the Wireless Connection and choose Properties Click on the tab labelled "Support" Click on the button labelled "Repair"

if that doesn't work try:

2) Open a DOS prompt - (Goto Start > Run > type cmd and hit enter) type this exactly without the quotes: "netsh winsock reset" Hit Enter After you do this - you will lose ALL network connectivity, and you will need to restart your machine - this may solve the problem (I've used it before to solve a similar problem)

3) Open Internet Explorer Goto Tools > Internet Options Click on the Connections tab Click on the Setup Button Press Next Choose Setp a home or small office network Press Next Press Finish The Networking Wizard should load Press Next Press Next The Wizard may complain about disconnected hardware (ie the LAN) just check the ignore it box and press Next Choose the middle option "This computer connects to the interet through a residential gateway" Press Next Fill in the boxes as ou see fit and Press Next Press Next If you select to turn on printer and file sharing - then it means other people can access the printer (and other stuff) and the hard drive attatched to your computer, if you select don't turn on printer and file sharing - the no-one will be able to access your computer's hard drive or printer (NOTE - BOTH OPTIONS WILL STILL ALLOW YOU PLAY GAMES OVER THE LAN) Choose and Press Next Press Next again You should be all done (and you don't need to run the wizard on the other computers)

If all these options fail, then there is much more going on here.... So I would suggest before we are all stumped

1) You mentioned BitTorrent, I know that you are not currently running it, but have you checked to see wt the others are using the connection for? It is entirely possible that they are using up all the bandwidth and so there is no bandwidth left for you.

2) Are you DEFFINATELY connected to YOUR router, you might want to check that you aren't actually picking up somebody elses Wireless Network.

I agree that the chances are it's likely to be a Computer Configuration problem, and although you don't want to hear it - I suspect that other people are thinking the same as me.... but before we try that drastic option.......

The final thing you can do before we utter the words "reformat".....

Goto Start > Run type "msconfig" without the quotes Click on the tab labelled "Startup" Click on "Disable All" (if you can see the checkbox that relates to your wireless adaptor - check it) Click on OK, you will be asked to restart your computer, do that.

Now (this is a long process - might take you a few hours or more) - when the computer reboots (unless you have already worked out which one of the startup items relates to you wireless network - you probably wont have a wireless network)

Basically everytime you reboot - you go back to start > run msconfig and check the boxes.

So it goes like this:

DISABLE ALL Reboot Check for Internet Check 1st box Reboot Check for Internet Check 2nd Box (note leave the 1st checked) Reboot Check for Internet Check 3rd Box (note leave 1st and 2nd checked) Reboot Check for Internet etc....

The idea is you want to find out if there is something specific loading up that is cutting your net access.

Anyways hope something in this lot helps, otherwise - yourbest bet is i'm afraid a reformat!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Jones

Hi Andy thank you for your advice:

1) repair: iv tried this but its not a connection problem. It shows it as being connected 2) netsh winsock reset: i will try this tonight 3) Setep a home or small office network: i have already done this and exchaged files with flatmates 4) Bittorrent: I know that they use bit torrent as well but even during our peak times i can get an average of 25Kbps download on my laptop. This in contrast to an average of about 1 Kbps on my desktop at a similar time. 5) Im definetly connected to my router. I have checked this throughly. Even the SSID is correct. 6) msconfig: i'll give it a go. But what is it that im looking for? Is it other programs taking up bandwidth? I dont think this is the case because as i mentioned in my previous post the connection is showing very little or no activity (as seen by the packet transfer). But i can ping my router and all my flatmate's computers.

Thanks again

Reply to
Someone

Did you try changing USB Ports? If not and if you have more than one USB port, connect the WG111 to a different USB port and try to access the internet. Also, what are the specs of your new desktop? If it is a brand name, supply the make and model.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

I was just at a relative's house and wonder if you're having the same symptoms (which I was unable to solve so far):

The linksys WMP54GS says connected to the network, but NOT the Internet.

I can ping the router and can ping the DNS server. I can do an nslookup and find the proper IP addresses. I can then USE the IP addresses to go to a website or ping it (on the Internet)

ping, IE etc will not properly do DNS lookups and therefore can't connect to any websites, unless I enter in the IP address directly.

(Is there any XP place, like the Unix nsswitch.cong, which tells Windows what sources to go to, in what order, to try to resolve the IP addresses)

Other computers on the same network are fine.

I've searched for spyware with 3 programs. I've tried Antivirus. I've tried entering the DNS statically. I've tried that windowsxpwinsockfix (whatever it's called). I've tried that winsock reset using Windows XP commands. All to no avail. I don't know what's left before an OS reinstall. I've flushed the XP DNS cache.

(They've installed Limewire not too long ago... I wonder if that, or something they picked up with that, is causing an issue).

Reply to
danr_18

danr snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com hath wroth:

In that case, it's not the router or the network. That leaves the client computah.

Try to ping something on the internet by IP address, not name. ping 66.94.230.35 which is

formatting link
If that works, you have a DNS problem on the client computah.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.