concerning homemade wireless antennas

Hi all,

Alright, I'm fairly new to wireless networking. My query stems from my current situation, which is thus:

Since I live out in the boonies, the only internet service that you can get higher than dial-up is satellite- in this case, HughesNet (formerly DirecWay). When we were forced to switch over to HughesNet, a rather restrictive bandwidth cap was instituted, something we'd never had a problem with when we had DirecWay, and the only way to get rid of it is to upgrade to the higher (and more expensive service).

As a work around, I plan to see if I can instead tap into my neighbor's wireless network, since he somehow managed to get a T1 installed in his home (God only knows how); plus, he's already given us permission to do so, so we don't have to worry about trespassing on his network.

To do this, I'm planning on constructing a homemade coffee-can-type antenna.

My question is, while all the information I've seen on the net have shown hooking up these kind of antennas directly to a laptop with an external wireless card, is there any way to somehow broadcast the signal from the cantenna itself, throughout the house? For example, would it be possible to hook it up to a wireless router?

Any assistance is appreciated, and much thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
spacermase
Loading thread data ...

If your willing to pay the price you can get it about anywhere.

plus, he's already given us permission to do

No

throughout the house? For example,

Reply to
David

I'd try mounting a wireless bridge on a tv antenna pole outside your house, and connect your pc to the bridge.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.