combine 2 dsl outputs?

2 houses want wifi - any way to make both use both dsl connections? I can set up the PAs but not sure how to combine the DSL streams.
Reply to
s
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Not easily or cheaply.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi May be this can Help,

formatting link
(MVP-Networking).

Reply to
Jack (MVP-Networking).

I was going to suggest something like the Hawking device in that article, except it sounded like each house had its own DSL modem. To combine the two DSL streams would require a cable across to the other house, or a kludge of one of the DSL modems connected to an Ethernet to

802.11g converter, over to the Hawking device with another Ethernet to 802.11g converter, and then a wireless access point connected to the wired router. A lot of hassle and money for questionable results.

I can't help but asking why he'd want to combine two DSL streams, it'd be cheaper to pay for higher speed DSL at just one of the houses, and share that DSL connection.

Reply to
SMS
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Failover. Duh.

Reply to
John Navas

What's a "PA" ? Is that like an AP but backwards?

Not easy over wireless but possible. There are load balancing routers that will allow you conglomerate broadband connections. See:

formatting link
catch is that these will not give you the download performance of the combined bandwidth of both DSL connections. However, if you are connecting to different IP addresses on the net, the load balancing routers will split the bandwidth between the two routers.

I'm not sure how you should run the wires or wireless between houses to make this happen. At best, a telco cable would bring the DSL phone line to one of the houses, where you would have 2 DSL modems and the load balancing router. Then, go back to the 2nd house with wireless or a wired connection. Split between two houses, it's a topological mess.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.