2 routers one lan

I have a situation on my new job... I have 2 gateways installed on 2 servers and I need to find a way to use one as a backup.

What I have is a DSL internet connection and a T1 connection. I want to use the T1 as primary and DSL as backup. I already have 2 nic's installed on the servers onr in a 10.10 config (not with a gateway)and the other in the 135.11 config. In addition I have 2 firewalls setup one for the DSL and the other for the T1. The screwed up part of this is both gateways are set at 135.11.20 and 135.11.12 So one server has the 20 gateway and the other the 12. I can change the internal ip's for the gateway, no problem. I just need a way to configure one as a backup. Any one have any idea or is there something I can lookup???

Reply to
introuble
Loading thread data ...

In article , introuble wrote: :I have a situation on my new job... I have 2 gateways installed on 2 :servers and I need to find a way to use one as a backup.

Vincent C. Jones, "High Availability Networking using Cisco routers".

See also his web site for an introduction to the topic.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

You could setup HSRP on the routers and make the router with the T1 HSRP active. You could then further setup preemtion and interface tracking so when the T1 becomes unavailable the the DSL router would move from Standby to Active and take over. For more information about this see:

formatting link
Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

You could setup HSRP on the routers and make the router with the T1 HSRP active. You could then further setup preemtion and interface tracking so when the T1 becomes unavailable the the DSL router would move from Standby to Active and take over. For more information about this see:

formatting link
Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I really don't have access to the router, I have access to the firewall, which is a watchguard. Is there any other way around this?

Reply to
introuble

introuble mumbled:

Apply a higher metric to one route.

Have two default routes, one with a metric of 1 pointing to the interface connected to the T1, and one with a metric of 10 pointing to the interface connected to the DSL service.

Traffic will never hit the DSL service unless the T1 goes down/is unreachable.

DaZZa

Reply to
DaZZa

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.