XP ad-hoc wireless network : How to change channel?

Hi,

My network is a computer-to-computer one, using the XP automatic wireless configuration. I see that the computers connect on channel 11. There's someone in my neighborhood who now has a wireless router on channel 11 too...

Is there a way to configure XP wireless so it uses a different channel?

neilsanner

Reply to
neilsanner
Loading thread data ...

Create a new computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network that uses a different channel and switch all your machines over to it.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Hi Neill,

When I to in "Wireless Network Connection Properties"> Wireless Networks> Preferred Networks> Add, there's no option to specify a channel...

neilsanner

Neill Massello wrote:

Reply to
neilsanner

First add the network, then configure it.

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Wireless Network Connection > Properties > Configure

There should be an option to select the channel, at least I see that option!

Reply to
SMS

"Configure" on the "General" tab of the "Wireless Network Connection Properties" brings me to the my Wi-Fi card properties. Is this what you meant by "Configure"? There's no options there to change the channel.

neilsanner

SMS wrote:

Reply to
neilsanner

Yes. On mine, when I click on "Configure" next to "Intel (R) Pro Wireless 2200BG..." it brings up another dialog box with a list of properties. The first one is "Ad Hoc Channel" and next to that is a drop-down box where you can select 1 of 11 channels.

Reply to
SMS

Ok,

Then it depends on the adapter and the driver. For my card (WLAN a+b+g mini-PCI Module; Atheros chipset), there's no such option. The only workaround I could find is to use the manufacturer's utility that comes with the card. Mine is called "Atheros Configuration Utility". I prefer to use the Windows to configure the wireless network settings but since it doesn't allow for the channel selection, I guess I'll have to forget about it.

neilsanner

SMS wrote:

Reply to
neilsanner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.