wireless can't find internet

"JMM" hath wroth:

Can you "see" the router at: http://192.168.1.1 via wireless? If not, your WEP encryption is probably not the same. There are two different ways for the brilliant and creative authors of wireless drivers to convert from ASCII to Hex WEP keys. To make matters worse, Windoze XP doesn't offer much in the way of diagnostics. If you're using WEP, use the Hex key, not the ASCII key and it should work.

If you can "see" the router, check the status page and see if you're really connected.

If you've been tinkering with settings or juggling hardware, power EVERYTHING off. Turn on the cable or DSL modem first. Wait about a minute. Then, turn on the WRT54G. Wait about 2 minutes. Then, turn on the wireless computer. You don't always have to do it this way, but it's the only way to guarantee that you won't end up with a

169.254.xxx.xxx IP address.

If your WRT54G happens to be a version 5 model (serial number starts with CDFBxxxxx), you have my sympathies. I suggest a firmware update which might help with some bugs. The other versions of the WRT54G are fine.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, which has worked fine...just got a new one, and with my laptop, I can connect to the router, but it says it can't find the internet...what in the world have I done wrong this time around!! The SSID is the same, the WEP encryption is the same, heck, everything "looks" the same, but no internet...the wired ports work fine... Any help (ideas) would be extremely appreciated! Thanks in advance... Michael

Reply to
JMM

Restart your Cable/DSL modem, then restart the WRT54G and finally, restart your wireless client. Also double check the settings in your AP's menu. If the aforementioned fails, start from with the basics. Disable encryption and see whether or not you can access the web.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.