Can't get IP to auto assign with Netgear Wifi card

Hi,

I've got a Netgear WG311T PCI WiFi card and a Netgear WGT634U router. When I boot my machine it connects OK to the router (ie wireless network is active) but it doesn't give me internet connection.

Checking with IPCONFIG I see that no address has been assigned from the router. IPCONFIG /RENEW does not work as the router doesn't respond.

In order to get the connection to work I have to bring up the 'Netgear WG311T Smart Wizard' and click on 'Apply'. Then I get the message 'Internet Connected' in the status box at the bottom of the window and an IP address is allocated by the router.

This is a real pain as it means I have to manually log on to the internet every time I boot the machine. Further, it causes my Virus checker and MSN messenger to crap out with annoying error windows.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Cheers,

Gavan

Reply to
gavs_usenet
Loading thread data ...

what Windows OS are you using including Service Packs ?

what driver version are you using on the WG311T ?

what software/firmware version are you uinsg on the WGT63U ?

Reply to
merv.hrabi

OS is Windows XP SP1 WGT311T is driver 3.3.0.156 Router firmware is 1.4.1.8

Other pertinent info: WEP 128 bit encryption, no SSID broadcast

As I say, the machine connects to the wireless network when booted, but the DHCP doesn't work until I actually 'apply' the settings in the wizard. Weird.

Gav

Reply to
gavs_usenet

I can see that you have the latest NETGEAR adapter driver and the latest router firmware

I am sure you have tried configuring a manual address instead of using DHCP, but I want to confirm

Is the "Use Windows to conffigure my Wireless settings" box checked It is on the "Wireless Networks" tab under the adpater properties ???

Reply to
merv.hrabi

No, I was letting the Netgear applet do it. Enabling the windows autoconfig results in a warning message that the Netgear Wizard is no longer managing it. I clicked it anyway and entered the info for WEP key etc manually.

Upon a reboot I still a dialog prompting me if I want to use the Netgrear Wizard instead of windows autoconfig. Clicking 'no' brings the machine to the same state it was previously: Seeing the wireless network but no IP assigned and IPCONFIG /RENEW not working.

Assigning a manual address identical to the one previously assigned (192.168.1.3) brings no luck. The router isn't even pingable.

Deselecting the windows autoconfig and pulling up the netgear wizard again enables me to connect to the internet as before - only by clicking the 'apply' button. I get the 'Internet connected' message in the info box at the bottom of the window and I now have connectivity.

What a pain - this used to work OK then suddenly stopped working one day. I'm fast losing patience with the Netgear kit.

Gav

Reply to
gavs_usenet

I would try uninstalling using the NetGear Smart wizard. Then reinstall and choose to let Windows to manage the adapter

Reply to
merv.hrabi

Thanks for the advice but I've already reinstalled the Netgear Wizard in the course of trying to resolve the problem. No luck of course. The strange this is that the whole thing used to work perfectly.

I've got a feeling that something low level in the registry is corrupted. I'm planning on doing a system upgrade in the next months (CPU/MB) which will need a new OS install anyway, so I'm hoping that will fix it.

Until then I'll have to live with the inconvenience of manually logging on to the internet on my always-on cablemodem connection. Unless someone knows different.......

cheers,

Gav

Reply to
gavs_usenet

Gav,

I have the same problem - did you f> Hi,

connection.

Reply to
blobman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.