Can't connect to internet

So close but yet so far. Computer 1 (the original) has had its config modified ever so slightly by having a wireless router, (specifically a linksys WRT54G) inserted between the cable modem and itself. This computer still connects to the internet (which is how I'm able to send this)

Computer 2 (the interloper) is now connected to the wireless network. But nothing else.

It doesn't connect to the internet, although strangely, I do get the default page of the modem when there is a connection failure on computer 1. Also, I receive the dial up dialog box, which I would run, except that the cable modem is already connected. It doesn't seem to read the originals computer either.

I've run the usual gamut of Microsofts wizards, to transfer settings across, but with no improvements, although at least they haven't made the situation worse for once.

I suspect that I'm missing a small step somewhere, but not sure what.

As far as possible, it appears that all hardware involved is working correctly, but obviously not fully configured.

Any thought please....

Reply to
Howard G
Loading thread data ...

Also: I'm getting a "Limited no connectivity" exclamation on my Local Area connection. Warnings on attempts at repair give messages to the effect that its unable to renew the network address.

This doesn't stop this computer from accessing the internet, and of course the other computer isn't wired anyway, but 1) I'd prefer it to work, and 2) it seems to be preventing me from accessing the router itself. So if I have to change any settings in it, I'm a bit stuck.

Reply to
Howard G

What do you get back when you enter IPconfig /all at the DOS Command Prompt --- post the results.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks for replying,

The following is what came back from ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home-cozin Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-B3-BF-F1 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.48.173 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ASUS 802.11b/g Network Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-D4-4A-45-76 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.27.138.249 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.27.128.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 213.57.35.2 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.101.102 192.168.101.101 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, May 17, 2006

12:41:03 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 20, 2006 11:26:33 PM

PPP adapter Internet Zahav Cable Dialer:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 83.130.208.162 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 83.130.208.162 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.116.202.222 213.8.172.83 The above was made without the "interloper" computer being attached to the wireless network though. I'll go power it up and post the new ipconfig /all info back to here.

Also, and a slightly different issue is that after periods of inactivity, the internet connection on the original and working computer dissapears. If I check the network settings, I'm told that its still connected. I had a brief look at the settings for it, and it tells me that it is instructed never to hang up after periods of inactivity, so it seems reasable to think that the instruction to "time out" is somewhere else.

Reply to
Howard G

Minor update: Having connected and powered up "the interloper" computer, the results of ipconfig /all are exactly the same on this computer. If you need to know what the interlopers ipconfig /all are, I can pobably accomplish this by using a flash drive and notepad.

Again, thanks for assistance

Howard

Reply to
Howard G
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

It's possible that your routing table is giving preference to the wrong network connection. (You can check with "ROUTE PRINT" in a CMD window.) Try disabling all other network adapters in Control Panel -> Network Connections.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.