can 2 gateways exist in same network?

I have 2 Linksys routers for my home network. 1 wireless and 1 ethernet. The ethernet router is uplinked to the wireless router. The wireless router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 and the ethernet router's IP address is 192.168.1.2. By default I left the wireless router in gateway mode. On the ethernet router I switched it to router mode. The DHCP service is disabled on both routers.

Is this the proper way to make two routers exist on the same network or should I switch the ethernet router's working mode back to gateway?

kevd

Reply to
kd
Loading thread data ...

Yep. That's the correct way. The IP addresses are also correct. One of your unspecified Linksys routers acts normally as an ethernet router. The other unspecified Linksys wireless router is actually acting as an "access point", where the router and DHCP server features are disabled. This is a good arrangement as it allows the ethernet router to sit on the floor where all the cables come together, while the wireless box can sit high on a bookshelf where it has a better view of the coverage area.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the confirmation...

kevd

Reply to
news

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.