cannot connect to wrt54g web utility, but everything else works fine

odd problem i've been having lately - my wired and wireless networks are both working just fine, but i cannot connect to the wireless router on either the wired or wireless network. i can ping it and it returns

100% at a 1ms average, but typing the web address in firefox yields nothing...

any ideas?

Reply to
Matt
Loading thread data ...

Are you sure you are pinging the router or some other device on your lan? Go to your network connections folder and pull up your network connection status page and look at the gateway address. make sure it's the same as the address you are trying to access.. Have you flashed your router or are you using factory default firmware? have you ever been able to get to the web interface?

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner

Reply to
Matt

Perhaps it's a Firefox issue. Seems like I read/heard that different browsers can make the difference.

So, try using IE to see it it works from there.

If I was already in IE and having problems, I'd "delete files" on and offline under "Tools>Options" and try again. Also, be sure to type it in completely, not just let the drop down menu fill it in....

Also, yes, better to do it via cable (on the LAN side), in case wireless access to the router is turned off.

Another easy trick is to right click on the connection (in the task bar) and hit "repair" this flushes out various things that get clogged up in the connection. Type in the address again after reconnecting.

Finally, unplug and replug the router to see if that helps.

Default for this one is 192.168.1.1, right?

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
Peter Pan

the dhcp server defaults to start at 192.168.1.100...

i could access the server f> since you already have a router, and most of them usually have 4 ports, you

Reply to
Matt

also, the odd part is that i can access the web util for the wired router, can ping both, and everything else works fine (file/printer sharing, internet, etc)...i just want to be able to connect to the wireless router in case i want to change password/ssid, for obvious reasons...

Reply to
Matt

Guess i'm wondering why you have two wired routers, both using the same address (192.168.1.2, is used by both from what you said, why not just make it 192.168.1.10 or more than 10, depending on how many ports your wired router has) - ((nothing to do with the wireless dhcp server, that is already .100, and you probably only have 1 dhcp server)) - As for it working for a while, sounds typical, it works until the .2 address is used for the first time (or someone plugs a cable into the second port), now you have two devices conflicting...

Reply to
Peter Pan

For testing, why not just unplug everything going to the wireless route except one hardwired PC, nothing on the WAN port and nothing on none of the LAN ports except one PC to test with. Power cycle the router, then check IPConfig to see what your Default Gateway is trying ping it and then try browsing to it.

Danny,

Reply to
Danny Kile

Reply to
Matt

From your earlier post.. You wrote "default is 192.168.1.1, i have it set as

192.168.1.2 because i already have a wired router as well set to the default address...'

The WIRED router has more than one port, ergo is uses an address RANGE... If it starts at 192.168.1.1 and has four ports, it uses address for the wired ports, and the wrt54g has 4 wired ports so you have .2 .3 .4 (and maybe .5) that conflict with your wired router you already have..... (you haven't said what type of router you already have, I am being vague cuz there are 4 port/8 port/16 port/32 port routers ((and I'm sure other numbers too)), and you have never said what the other router is..... If four ports (or less), why not take it out of the loop and just use the wrt54g as both a wap and a router, rather than just as a wap?

Matt wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

Reply to
Matt

You mean you don't also have a wrt54g connected? (that's what in the subject line), it has both wired AND wireless (and the four wired ports are static, started at the address you set +0 +1 +2 +3).. Course if you don't actually have one, then all this is moot, but I have to wonder why you are using a wrt54g web utility on someone elses router?

Matt wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

Reply to
Matt

Everything on my network is running fine too. the only thing I can not do is access the Linksys Utility page.

The default IP is: *192.168.1.245*

I have a D-Link router: *DIR-655* Linksys Wireless-G Access Point: *WAP54G*

I changed the Linksys AP's IP address: 192.168.0.240 That brings me to the section for Login & Pwd.

Login: *admin * Pwd: (should be *admin*) yet nothing.

I've tried a few options like disabling virus scan & firewall & webroot.

What am I not seeing? I really could use the help. Linksys was not much help. I too can read a manual & walk someone through a problem. All that shows is that I can read and speak. Sorry, just tired of Tech Support that lacks knowledge.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Uberloser

The default is: User name: [leave blank] Password: admin [all lower case]

It just default the device and start over. Hold the reset button down for at least 30 seconds, and let it restart.

The default IP address will be 192.168.1.1, the default address you gave is for the WAP54G. Make sure you nail your computer's IP to something like 192.168.1.10, then log into the Linksys to change the IP. After that, you'll need to change your computer's IP to match the range for the IP you reset it to.

Reply to
DTC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.