Broadband downloads stall using wireless router

Hi

I hope someone on this forum can help me. I have just got a new laptop and I am having some problems downloading files. I am connecting my laptop wirelessly and didnt have any problems with my old laptop. The download starts ok but after a few minutes the connection seems to stall and no more packets are recieved. I can start downloading other files but it will again stall after a few minutes. When I connect directly to the modem I dont have this problem, and my old laptop worked fine with the same wireless router. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem, I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
maddoglewis
Loading thread data ...

maddoglewis hath wroth:

It would be helpful if you would disclose some clues as to what hardware and software you're using, what internet connection you're using, and whether it slows down downloading from one particular site or all sites. You know, make, model, numbers, details, and stuff required to answer any technical question.

If this is a new computah, out of the box, I suggest you cease downloading and start updating. All new machines are delivered lacking updates. In many cases, these updates include driver updates to the wireless client card, which is mostly likely what's causing the problem. The slowdown could also be due to Windoze running updates or virus scans in the background while you're furiously downloading. The download will slow down because other programs are downloading or installing at the same time.

New machines are also delivered with the virus scanner unregistered and unconfigured. I suggest you cease downloading until you have installed and updated anti-virus and anti-spyware programs.

It's also likely that something is fishy in the router. My guess(tm) is that you're running Vista. There were some compatibilty issues with Vista and some routers. I suggest you identify your router, go to the manufacturers web pile, and check if you have the latest firmware in the router.

If you still have your old laptop, it would be interesting if you would retest for the same problem. Side by side comparisons and substitution are my favorite ways of isolating problems.

Also, try an ethernet connection from the new laptop to the router instead of the modem and see if the problem persists. There are too many variables to assign the blame and you haven't tried all the possible combinations.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.