Bridge without using WET54G

I am trying to bridge my upstairs network to my network downstairs. I am using a Linksys WET54G v3 upstairs and downstairs I have a Netgear WGT624 as an access point. This configuration has been anything but stable and right now I am getting nowhere with Linksys tech support. I have tried almost every conceivable permutation with respect to MAC filter on/off, WEP, WPA, no security, and various CTS/RTS thresolds. The net result is that the WET54G will lose its connection after some period of time and have to be power cycled. I would not mind if this only occured once a week say, but some days I have to power cycle 4-5 times. Channels 7 and below are used so my choice in channels in limited. Channel 7 is only 10% but there are some channel 6 APs at

60-70%. I am currently trying channels 10 and 11. As always, my signal strength is 100% so I do not want to fool around with directional antennae and risk damaging a radio or two. I think the problem is purely in the WET54G firmware but getting Linksys to admit that is another task. All other devices I have tried with the WGT624 work flawlessly.

Back to my original question, I was wondering is there any kind of software solution out there that I could use to do the same thing that the WET54G and WGT624 is supposed to do? I have an older P3 650 laptop and a couple of D-Link G132 USB 11G NICs I can use if somebody has a solution. I've tried the bridge appliance with VM Ware and I can not get it to work at all. It seems happy enough but no traffic actually gets bridged.

Any ideas? TIA.

Reply to
Squish
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.