Wireless Bridging Without a Bridge

I have a problem with bridging a network and wondered if I can solve the problem without a bridge - my bridge is being used elsewhere in another office.

I have downstairs a wired network with wireless ADSL router providing a simple wireless network.

Upstairs I have a PC connected to the network wirelessly. What I want to do is insert an XBox 360 upstairs and connect to the network so to go live. Without a bridge.

I was wondering if there is a way the XBox can connect to the PC either through a hub/switch or cross over, and use Internet Connection Sharing on the wireless NIC - routing all traffic at the router.

Seems a long way round but in theory it might work - I have tried it quickly using a laptop where the Xbox would be so it was easier to see progress - but I didn't get it working.

Any input (I know I need an xbox NIC or an ethernet bridge)...

Regards Jim

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

That part makes me suspicious. Did you use a crossover cable or a straight cable? Some NICs can work with a straight through, but some not.

I would say that a combination of these two pages ought to get you going.

Share Media from a PC with Xbox 360

formatting link
Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
formatting link

Reply to
dold

It was a cross, and it pinged through to the PCs nic fine - and could see files etc on the PC - it was just the next hop that was the problem.

The links you listed - I am familiar with. I suppose the crux is - is it possible to connect to a PC with ICS - where that PC is not connected to the internet using a modem (ie it is wirelessly connected to an ADSL router).

Reply to
Jim

Yes. I have used WiFi on my laptop to supply internet access to another PC cabled in via crossed cable, using ICS.

There is one poster in this group who has to WiFi connection on the computer in the middle.

Reply to
dold

As memory serves, I had Windows 2000 Professional on the server in the middle. Windows XP Home may be lacking the DNS and DHCP servers needed to complete the ICS setup.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.