Belkin F5D7330

Just bought this Belkin, the salesman said it is a wlan access point, but it seems to be a bridge. My config is ADSL modem, ASUS wireless router (radio switched off) Locally I have 2-3 PC's connected directly (Cat5 cable) to this router. In addition i have pulled another cat 5 cable to another location and connnected it to the new Belkin. PC's around this Belkin connects fine to internet, but not to the PC's directly connected to the router, as long as the mode is et to Ad-Hoc.

Then I upgraded the firmware from 1.00.07 (I beleive) to 1.00.09 Now it connects fine to the PC's connected directly to the router, but NOT to internet anymore.

Earlier I had a CNet AP (CWA-854) connected the same way and everything worked just fine, except for yesterday, then it stopped working (was very warm), so I bought something which was supposed to be "better".

Anyone has a clue ?

Reply to
Magne
Loading thread data ...

The Belkin F5D7330 is a Wireless Ethernet Bridge, for connecting network devices, or an ethernet-equipped computer to a wireless network.

So you need to connect the Belkin bridge to a network device, like a switch or hub at the other location and then connect your computer(s) to the switch/hub. And turn on the radio in the ASUS router and from the setup page in the Bridge bridge, connect the bridge to the ASUS router's radio.

Or, if you only want to connect only one computer from the other location, you can connect the Belkin bridge directly to the ethernet port on this computer and from the setup page connect the bridge wirelessly to your ASUS router after turning on the radio in the router.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Thanks

But my problem id that the ASUS (wireless) router does not "penetrate" the floor/roof which is between it and the wireless PC's. Therefore I pulled a cat5 cable from the router to a central point between my wireless PC's and connected the Bilkin to it (thinking it was an AP)

I guess the salesman was wrong when he said that the Belkin F5D7330 was, or could be setup as an AP ?

I also guess that I must have a device which may be setup as an AP ? I must use cable between the router and the Belkin (or some AP), I certainly want multiple PC's connected wireless to this one (and thereby logically to the internet and all my PC's which have cable connections to rthe router).

Reply to
Magne

Yes. The Belkin F5D7330 is a bridge. I have one too and as fare as I can tell it cannot function as an access point.

As you have already seen, it will be able to connect in ad-hoc mode. But then only to another computer with a wireless card.

You could probably connect the bridge to a Windows computer which also has an ethernet card which in turn is connected to the cable from the router and set this computer up to share its connection with Windows ICS.

There's a discription of how this has been done here:

formatting link
Of course, if you have a Macintosh, there is a software base station built in to MacOS 9 and OS X which is easy to set up.

Then you should buy an access point.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.