Belkin Access Point

Not wanting to change my current B setup, I read in here I could make a g-router into an access point.

Bought a Belkin 7230, changed it to an access point, no problems getting online with my g-laptop. Speed is good, I have it set for g signal only. It was showing as unsecured, so there was a password added.

In viewing available networks, I thought it would only show my b network but the g is also showing. Wasn't it just suppose to be an extension of my b network?

Thanks!

Reply to
scouts
Loading thread data ...

I realize I didn't completely outline my network but I thought there was enough info to garner a yes or no answer to my question.

Maybe I'm not understanding the difference between a bridge and access point, or I can't have either since I have 2 different routers, a b and a g?

This was my original set up...

BB cable modem to ms wireless router, to which I have one hard wired desktop with XP, and 2 wireless b-adapters connecting another desktop with WME and an MSNTV2. When the kids were home and we were all online, my laptop and MTV2 seemed to be the ones to bog down. They are the furthest away from the router.

I bought a laptop that is capable of wireless g speeds, so I bought a belkin wireless g router. In the setup program, I have it checked to put out only a g signal, and changed it to an access point. It is connected to the b router from the #2 port on the ms router, into the belkin modem port.

Since everything is working, is it fine this way? The internet light on the Belkin router isn't blinking. I see both secured networks when refreshing my list and a security scan tells me my laptop is secure. Is there anything else I need to do?

Reply to
scouts

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.