Attn Jeff request for ideas

I have Linksys WRT54GS, Motorola WR850G Motorola Wireless PCI Card - All that is in Building One

Linksys USB Wireless Network - Building Three

What I am trying to do is make a better signal to building Three without having to run wires, Distance between building one and three is almost 200 ft Let me know

Reply to
Rodney Payne
Loading thread data ...

Why me? I only answer the easy questions.

Inside building One? What's the building like? 2.4GHz doesn't go through concrete walls very well.

If you know enough to ask me to answer your question, you should know that I approach a nuclear meltdown if you fail to supply model numbers of your equipment. You made a good start and then fumbled. What model Linksys hardware? USB does not a network make. What else is there other than your unspecified Linksys USB something.

Got line of sight? Got windows that face each other? Can you drill holes in the walls? Got roof access for antennas? What happened to building two?

200 ft is fairly easy if you have line of sight. I'm guessing you don't have line of sight and are trying to shoot through walls, paritions, furniture, and whatever.

Depending upon the topology and line of sight, this is one place where a repeater might be useful. A 2nd WRT54G located in a window, in building three, with line of sight to building one, will work if it also has good coverage inside building three. Hard to tell from here. Setup a WDS repeater between the two Linksys WRT54G(S) boxes. I would opt for alternative firmware:

formatting link
I've been told (2nd hand) works better than the stock Linksys firmware.

Another approach would be to plant a 2nd WRT54G in the window in building three, setup in client mode using Alchemy firmware. It's suppose to handle multiple MAC addresses (I haven't tried this yet). Then run CAT5 to your workstations in building three and forget the "USB network". The advantage here is that there's no store-n-forward repeater involved, so there's no performance loss.

You don't need my permission to know.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

So you have a wireless router in building 1, and a laptop or something in same building.

??? you mean a laptop or PC with a USB wireless card?

Directional antenna on the outside wall of building 3, connected your USB wireless device. Directional antenna on the outside wall of building 1, connected to the router.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.