will "enhanced" 802.11g devices help interference?

Welcome to the world of advertising and making things sound better than they really are. There is no change in the power output, just new software that encodes signals different (only certain cards work with certain AP's). Most of the older cards have new drivers that have the new compression/encoding stuff.

As to your interference prob, have you tried changing channels? (the stuff you have now, has 11 channels, and defaults to 6.. Try changing it to channel 1 or 11.

Chances are, you will NOT eliminate any "dead spots".. Look into the myriad of external antennas for the wap/routers that provide a degree of signal increase and can be postioned in different ways.

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

I've got a 802.11g wireless network in my home (Linksys equipment almost entirely) and, while it works pretty well, the range isn't as good as I'd like and it is subject to interference from my 2.4Gig cordless phones, microwave oven and other "usual suspects". I've just read up on the latest group of enhanced wireless routers that supposedly increase range, increase throughput and reduce interference from other sources (Linksys Wireless-G with SRX, D-Link SuperG with MIMO and something coming out from Netgear). The reviews I've read say they work at least reasonably well. OK. I've got two basic questions.

#1 -- How do they affect the OTHER DEVICES? Like my cordless phones? Will these more powerful routers just drown out the signal to my cordless phones so I can't use them properly? ALL of our phones are cordless, and we use Vonage for our long distance, so increasing interference on our cordless phones would be a disaster.

#2 -- Will we see a significant improvement with one of these new routers even if we kept our existing 802.11g "cards" (some Linksys pc cards), one Linksys PCI card, one Linksys USB adapter, one 3Com pc card)? I'm less interested in improving throughput than I am eliminating dead spots, improving signal strength and reducing interference. Would I have to buy new adapters TOO to realize those benefits?

Thanks for any information. WC

Reply to
WCH

There's no extra interference. In fact, it rarely works that way. Other 2.4 gadgets slow the wireless signal (MIMO is much less susceptable), but I have a few different routers and my 2.4 cordless is always crystal clear.

Yup. If you go MIMO, which can give you as much as 1500 feet of coverage, you will need MIMO cards. Otherwise, you will run at standard G at 300 feet.

Reply to
JB

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.