Point to Point Wireless Internet

I am wanting some info on setting up a point to point system to share wireless internet from one building to another (Around 500 ft apart).

The building have no obsticles between each other as is mostly gravel driveway. I am thinking of ordering for a wireless G setup.

2-YSC-HG2415Y (Yagi Antennas) one for sending and one for receiving
formatting link
1 N-male to RP-SMA (for the wireless card in the computer) 1 N-male to 90° RP-SMA (For the router)

This same equipment will work for "pre-N", But do I need three yagi antenas per router, as most of the pre-N router have three anteanas coming out of them.

If I would like to broadcast my internet to two different locations can I use a splitter of some sort and feed the signal to two yagi antennas from my router

What sort of cable do I need to run from the yagi antena to the router and wireless card , I have read that it should be a LMR400 is there other types of cable I can use??.

Thanks for any help,

Bryon

bryonfriesen(AT)hotmail.com

Reply to
Bryon Friesen
Loading thread data ...

Using outside rain proof boxes, use a Linksys WRT54G for the access point and Linksys WAP54G in client mode for the remote sites. With a clear shot, that will work a good 1,000 feet, even in the G mode. If not, drop it down to the B mode.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Will using rain proof boxes ouside not hamper signal at all. That is why I figured the Yagi antenna would be a good choice. It was external to the box.

Bry>> I am wanting some info on setting up a point to point system to share

Reply to
Bryon Friesen

The yagis will gain you the best usable signal and i would stick with that idea, however I would depending on how far you have to run the cable from the router and or computers to the antenna you might be better off to save the loss of all that coax and put the Router and AP's outside with only short jumpers to the yagis I think you'd be better off with a wireless access point and yagi and your remote machine hooked to it..

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner

How long is too long when running cable from the yagi to the router or access point. Do you need to use the LMR 400 cable or is there a different cable that I could use. Could I run a lower grade of cable and put some sort of signal booster inline.

Bryon

Reply to
Bryon Friesen

No, the lower grade of cable will be more lossy. Adding an amplifier to increase the signal gain will also increase noise. The cheapest and most effective solution is to take advantage of the passive gain of an high gain antenna, followed by low loss cable. Use LMR 400 or better, nothing less.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Using LMR 400 or better how long would a max cable length be?? Are the linksys routers, better than D-link for signal strength.

Bry>> How long is too long when running cable from the yagi to the router or

Reply to
Bryon Friesen

I would use Linksys routers or the Buffalo equiv. Simply because you can use third party firmware which will allow you more configurability on the LAN such as being able to increase your TX power from 26mW to 250mW. I would run it around 100mW unless you can run less and keep the link speeds you want. As far as the cable goes that all depends on what antennas you use and how much gain they provide. Then check the specs on on LMR400 and see how much loss there will be over the amount of footage you will need to reach your antenna. If you wont end up with at least 3 to 6db of gain (hopefully you'll have more) than I would look at moving the radio's closer to the antennas.. One other thing to think about is CAT5e is MUCH cheaper than LMR400..

Happy linking.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner

Using the Linksys WRT54G for the access point and Linksys WAP54G in client mode for the remote sites. Are there certain Firmware revs that I should be looking for?? Is there any benifit to looking at the Pre N stuff.

Bryon

Reply to
Bryon Friesen

not unless you need the speeds IMHO. As far as firmware goes, none that i know of as far as linksys goes.. there is always DD-WRT if thats what you mean

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner

Use the Linkys' as they are out of the box. The current release 6 of the WRT54G does not allow using third-party firmware (you'll need the WRT54GL with Linux for that).

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Linux for that).

I beg to differ. WRT54G v5, v5.1 and v6 work with DD-WRT. See:

However, I've had hang problems with v5 routers and do not recommend them.

The V7 uses an Atheros chipset instead of Broadcom and does not work at all.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

with Linux for that).

My bad...wrong number key.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.