AP or Bridge?

I need some clarification and perhaps some advice. I currently have an 11B wireless home network and am interested in connecting a linux based machine, a ethernet printer, and a linksys NSLU2 to the network. They are all together but in a different area of the house. I was thinking a WET54G wireless bridge would do the trick, but the guy at the store (who didn't have the bridge in stock) told me that a simple access point (WAP54G) would work just as well. The linksys site does say the WAP54G can act like a "cable-less cable" to connect remote areas. If this is true, why would anyone buy the bridge which is more money? And if this is all true, does it extend to a router like the WRTG54 and would i be able to connect it with my old BEFW11S4?

Thanks to anyone who can help me. Nick

Reply to
Nick
Loading thread data ...

Nick: I use a Linksys WAP54G for the main wireless access point in my house (accessing easily from various laptops, etc.) I also use it simultaneously to bridge to a room full of wired ethernet stuff. The other end of the wireless bridge uses a Netgear Wireless Ethernet bridge (can't remember the model number). No problems. This setup has been working very well for me for over a year. The total distance bridged is only about 20 feet.

I hope this helps!

-Bob Bosen-

formatting link
Training videos for People with work to do

Reply to
Bob Bosen

So you use a bridge to connect your ethernet devices to an existing wireless network. The thing is the guy at the store told me that an access point (WAP54G) would work just as well as a bridge. The AP is cheaper, but I want to know if what the guy says is really true.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

As far as I know the WAP54G can only bridge or act as a client to another WAP54G so you would need two of them. The WET54G should do the trick.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Yes. I use one access point (WAP54G) and one Netgear wireless ethernet bridge. I have no experience using two Wireless Access Points in "Bridge" mode, but I bet there would be some way to make that work too.

Regards,

Bob Bosen

formatting link
Instructional videos for people with work to do

Reply to
Bob Bosen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.