alt.net.wireless.NOT.FILLED.WITH ANAL RETENTIVE.PRICKS

Proposal for new group: Alt.net.wireless.NOT.FILLED.WITH.ANAL.RETENTIVE.PRICKS.

;-)

I found the answer to my unanswered post, f*ck you very much. Happens time and time again, I post here, get no answer and then soon find the answer on my own, which you notice, I do not share.

Reply to
urs
Loading thread data ...

Be careful the door doesn't smack you in the tush on the way out. :) Have a nice day.

Reply to
John Navas

Nice. Next time cut out all that unessesary stuff in the middle, and find the easy answers first. Strangely, I don't see your header in any recent messages...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Profanity is the last refuge of inarticulate motherfuckers.

I can almost guess the answer you found:

1. Update the drivers and/or firmware.
  2. Reinstall Windows.
  3. Bigger antennas.
  4. Trash the 2.4GHz cordless phone.
  5. Don't use the microwave oven while downloading.
  6. Repeaters, range extenders, and such don't work.
  7. If you have a neighborhood or municipal wireless access point nearby, give up now.
  8. Windoze is evil. Switch to OS/X, Linux, Unix, or whatever.
  9. If you wannit to work, pay for better and more expensive hardware.
  10. Good, fast, cheap. Pick two.

That should cover about 95.3% of the possible answers. With that level of succcess, I don't need to know your unanswered question.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hey, Jeff just wrote the FAQ! 8*)

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Sometimes people don't ask the question in a manner where you can answer it. [Poor description of the problem, etc.] Sometimes people don't know the answer. I had a problem mounting one of those large heatsinks on a CPU and it took me three forums to find the right advice.

Other than way too many Linksys fans on this group, the advice is pretty good. [I haven't tried Linksys post the Cisco purchase, but there old gear would have to improve to qualify as feces.]

Reply to
miso

It's not that we're fans - since I've been here, I haven't noticed a lot of people claiming they make great hardware. It's just that we can hack the firmware, to get all sorts of nice extras.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

And even the non-hackable ones are arguably better than some of the other options out there. It's not a 'Linksys is perfect", but a "lesser of N evils" thing. If money is no object, Cisco, SonicWall, Adtran products are nice, but they don't have anything in the $50 SOHO price range, nor do they have the ease of setup (and experienced help available in this newsgroup) of the Linksys boxes.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

There's relatively little product difference between different "$50 SOHO" boxes -- they're mostly just small variations on reference designs from a few radio manufacturers.

Reply to
John Navas

Yeah, but I read about a hack to make a linksys do bridging and I have to scratch my head as my Dlink does that right out of the box. Then there are the complaints about Dlink customer service. I've had two occasions to call Dlink in the last 4 years, and tech support was fine. In one case they got me going, in the other they told me to return the product for a refund. In the latter case, it had to so with bluetooth on a win2kpro system, which they said was a problem I managed to get it working by pulling some files out of an XP system.

I have no idea about modern linksys gear, but the older stuff really radiated RF more than other brands. Not a problem for most people, but I like to monitor.

Reply to
miso

So do some others. Different devices come with different features. But when I install dd-wrt on a Linksys box, I can pretty well guarantee to have _all_ of those features (though some of them might still take more hacking than I really want to get into).

Yeah, but you'll only _ever_ see complaints about service on Usenet :-) Nobody writes to newsgroups to say "Company X has the greatest service!"

Reply to
Derek Broughton

OK, Gigabyte did backflips to get me up and running on Windows X64. They sent me betas to use at my own risk, but it was better than not having the software.

The worse customer support I ever got was from Matrox. I wonder if they are still in business.

Reply to
miso
Reply to
John Navas

Sorry, just jumping in on a Linksys vs DLink debate... :-)

I have a Linksys WAP54G. Im happy. Works fine. No problems here.

Based on that, I ordered an ADSL2MUE. Didn't work. Didn't show the DSL Light. Refused to connect. Sent it back, ordered another. That one connected. Was fast, got 4 Mbps out of my upto 8 Mbps link. After 24 hours use, the thing had to "cool down" for an hour after a reboot.

Using it for another few days, and now the thing won't connect at all.

Just purchased a DSL-300T from Dlink. The Linksys is like toilet paper in comparison.

The DLink was a little more expensive, but has a half bridge mode, works flawlessly, is stable, and even gives a nifty web interface when in the half bridge mode. I can find my line stats while online! WHOO!

But it doesn't seem as fast as the Linksys! go figure.

Linksys. Cheap Fast.

DLink. Good.

Dunno if the same thing is the same in Wireless is true?

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

LOL

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Isn't that the point of a wireless router?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Playle

Not if (a) it's more power than is needed or (b) it's RF garbage.

Reply to
John Navas

William P.N. Smith hath wroth:

Yep. I should probably throw some of this into the FAQ:

All low cost vendors and their products are not the same. They all purchase products from manufacturers in the far east. They then repackage, document, inscribe software, support, and sell these products. Many are directly derived from the chip vendors reference design, which is why so many are almost identical inside.

For example, all these products are almost exactly the same:

formatting link
are based on the same ACX-100 reference design. Many can use each others firmware.

Sometimes, these low cost products are winners. Sometimes, they're total disasters (e.g. WRT54G v5). There's really no way to claim that one particular vendor has a better product than any other because of the large variety of sources of boards inside.

When a new model is released, the plastic boxes and model numbers remain often the same, while the design and board vendor inside changes drastically. This is done to allow the older models to be depleted as new models are released. Most consumers can't tell the difference between these models from the packaging. Also, dealers are less likely to return old inventory when a new model arrives.

All such product have bugs or missing features. What distinguishes the vendors is their ability and willingness to update products that they no longer sell, and to add features as necessary. I've noted that Linksys is one of the few that will update the firmware of obsolete products to fix bugs for about 2-3 years. That's one major reason I like their products. At the other extereme, Belkin rarely goes past the initial release firmware and bugs tend to be permanent.

Setup is something that is done only once (in theory). I personally don't care how easy or difficult it is to setup. I perform the necessary ordeal process, invoke the requisite profanity, read the manual if desperate, and then am done with it. What I consider important is a stable, reliable, fast, and bug-free product. Everything else is secondary, especially things I do only once.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 20:48:04 +0000 (UTC), urs wrote: : Proposal for new group: : Alt.net.wireless.NOT.FILLED.WITH.ANAL.RETENTIVE.PRICKS. : : ;-) : : I found the answer to my unanswered post, f*ck you very much. Happens time : and time again, I post here, get no answer and then soon find the answer on : my own, which you notice, I do not share.

Don't slam the door on your way out.

Reply to
Robert Coe

I meant RF garbage. If you own radio gear, you would appreciate the problems even wired routers cause.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.