Advice on routers/adaptors

Trying to figure all this out. Have a PC hooked up to DSL downstairs. Want my 2 Macs upstairs to be online. The newer mac has an airport extreme card. The other is too old for a "card". I'm guessing I should get a "wirless G" router for the DSL modem, and a USB adaptor for the older mac? Which brands/model numbers should I look for? Is a "broadband router" the same as a "DSL router"? I think the airport card is a "G" series. Thank you for your help!

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

You're better off with an Ethernet than a USB wireless adapter. Depending on the Mac model and OS version running on it, you might also be able to use a PCI wireless card in it.

Reply to
Neill Massello

There a few USB adapters for Mac OS. Google with the search string: "Mac OS Wireless Adapter Compatibility List" - remember to include the quotes. The newest list I know of is from August 2005.

Check the list above.

Above you wrote "the DSL modem". So in that case you need a broadband router (with a built-in switch and connectors for cable, to connect your PC) with built-in wireless. Or you can buy a broadband router (with the switch) and a separate wireless access point and connect the AP to the router.

A DSL router could replace the DSL modem and router.

Yes. Airport Extreme is 802.11g.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.