802.11g vs. 802.11i

802.11[a,b&g] are communications standards. 802.11i is an encryption standard. WPA and WPA2 encryption are the results of the draft 802.11i standard.
Reply to
Jerry Park
Loading thread data ...

You buy devices which support the standards you want to use. Wireless devices come in 802.11[a,b&g] with encryption standards of WEP, WPA and WPA2.

The most common is 802.11b, but it is being replaced with 802.11g because of g's faster speed. 802.11a seems mostly dead.

WEP is not secure. WPA is the replacement which is secure. WPA is based on the 802.11i draft standards.

WPA is genereally used to indicate that the device supports the WPA standard, but doesn't support AES encryption. WPA2 is generally used to indicate support for the WPA standard + support for AES encryption.

WPA-TKIP is considered very secure. The newer WPA-AES may be slightly more secure. TKIP is generally done in software while AES usually requires hardware support, so AES may be slightly faster.

bjh wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Park

I was wondering if anyone could point me to the best place to compare both standards. IE, pro's and Conn's of both

Reply to
bjh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.