SSH Tunneling for Newsgroups

Ok I have this ISP who is just plain awful. They buy services from our University, and then sell it to people in apartment complexes. I am paying for 3 mbps but am getting no where even close to that on all bandwidth tests and my newsgroup downloads are awfully slow. I know this is possible to do but am unsure of how to do it.

How do I setup tunneling onto a computer that is on the university backbone (I have access and account on this computer)? I can ssh onto this machine just fine, but do I need to create a .ssh file for my user account that says which ports to forward? I can use multiple ports on my newsgroup program (i.e. 23, 119, 7000, 8000, 9000 etc) but i cannot use anything other than 4 digits in my newsgroup program (I use grabit but can change if there is a better program that allows for port redirect to localhost if need be).

Thanks for the help in advance.

Reply to
cdorney
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.