Plain analog instrument that just works?

Can anyone point me to a plain, simple, one-line, analog telephone that just works (in the US of A)? None of the consumer electronics retailers near me carry any simple analog phones anymore; I have been through all three on the Radio Shack shelves with no success, and I can't find anything by googling.

I have taken to casting longing gazes at old Western Electric sets in antique stores, but one of my family members has a shoulder condition that makes it impossible to hold up the receiver of such a beast for any length of time.

Is there anyone out that that still makes a simple, rugged, yet not terribly heavy analog set?

Thanks.

sPh

Reply to
sphealey
Loading thread data ...

Did you try Froogle ??

formatting link
searching on "telephone 2500" got 1795 hits. One being a nice-looking

2500 (standard touchtone desk set) for $29 with volume control. Also, have you considered a speakerphone, or headset arrangement if weight is a problem ?

BTW, "Avaya" is new name for what was Western Electric

Reply to
Reed

Not a bad thought.

You seriously misspelled "Lucent".

Reply to
John L

Lucent spun off the hardware biz as Avaya in 2000

formatting link

Reply to
Reed

And sPh, after you get your nice new 2500 telephone set (or a 2554 if you prefer a wall telephone) go to an office supply store and find a shoulder rest... it's a plastic thing with adhesive on one side that will stick to the handset. At work we call them "slugs" (someone put that name on them and it stuck!) as they're sort of shaped like a slug. Shoulder rests raise the handset a little and make it so you don't have to contort your neck a lot to hold the handset and have both hands free for other tasks. Here's a couple links:

formatting link
Another thing your family member might like is a wireless headset. We've used lots of Plantronics CS-50s and CS-55s. They're great. They're also spendy, but that might not be a factor. Another link:
formatting link
(My connection to these links? None!)

Good luck!

Al

Reply to
Al Gillis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.