If you feed Skylock a phone number, it will tell anyone what tower you're connected to

If you feed Skylock a phone number, it will tell anyone what tower you're currently connected to, and it will track your movements.

formatting link

Reply to
David Howard
Loading thread data ...

If you read the original paper, it isn't clear this works on all systems. And apparently it is an issue with SMS. You can and I have requested that SMS be blocked with my carrier.

formatting link

SMS is a terrible security issue from many aspects. The "silent ping" RDF being the worst of the security issues. Just block it at the carrier.

Even the iphone now has push capability these days, so there is no need for SMS.

Reply to
miso

How do you get texts on iOS/Android without SMS?

Reply to
David Howard

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 02:49:14 +0000 (UTC), David Howard asked:

Same way you get them anywhere: ASCII email :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Right, but with push email and especially IMAP, it is pretty quick.

But you can use a number of cross platform message systems. BBM, ChatSecure, etc. for instance if you need real time.

Reply to
miso

Those other solutions are all non-starters if they need the other party to be using the same system. Then again, if they go through an SMS gateway and provide universal text reachability, what's the point of not just using SMS in the first place? Sounds like a lose/lose.

Reply to
Char Jackson

They don't use SMS. Only imessage uses SMS. (It is quite the fiasco when you go from iphone to anything else since apple leaches onto your SMS.)

BBM, Chatsecure, Whatapps, Beem, Ansa, etc are all just a download away.

Reply to
miso

OK, so non-starters then. Thanks.

Reply to
Char Jackson

What does Apple do to SMS?

Reply to
David Howard

A non-starter I suppose if you don't know how to download an app. That is beyond the capability of my grandmother. Then again, she is dead.

Whatsapp just added encryption. It is now the favorite of the Mexican drug cartels. But hey, you just keep on SMSing. The NSA needs something to read.

formatting link

Reply to
miso

I own nothing from Apple, so all I know is what I read in the press.

formatting link

Since imessage is not cross platform, it is pretty useless to me.

Reply to
miso

I think you missed my point, or maybe I misunderstood earlier. *I* have no problem downloading an app, but the non-starter aspect comes in when there's a requirement for the people on the other end to also download that app.

Reply to
Char Jackson

You would be amazed at how little is just handed to me on a silver platter.

Reply to
miso

I haven't graduated to tin foil just yet.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.